Search the forum,

Discuss kiychen jig routing video in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

mutley racers

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Hey fellers, I am installing a kitchen and need to rout the work top in. I have never done this before but I remember someone posting a demonstration video for the jig. Anyone remember what thread it was?

personaly would NEVER attemp this myself! it takes a good joiner around 2 hours to do a good corner apparantley! imagine if you do a mistake? must be some vids on youtude tho! remember to price in a router bit in the job as it wont do many joints

personaly would NEVER attemp this myself! it takes a good joiner around 2 hours to do a good corner apparantley! imagine if you do a mistake? must be some vids on youtude tho! remember to price in a router bit in the job as it wont do many joints

Me either. Seen far too many mitres that are blowing up/badly jointed to risk trying it.

You could train a dog to cut a worktop. Nothing hard about it.
Just remember to always cut INTO the postformed edge which means you have to cut some joints with the worktop up the right way and others with the worktop upside down. If you don't it will flick the formica off the edge. Just think about it.
Use sharp bits and do each cut in 3 or 4 passes about 10mm depth at a time. Too much depth in one pass will burn your bits and blunt them.

If you do try this I would first try on spare bit of worktop, you will need jig,new router bit ,worktop clamping bolts ,colour fill for the joint and about 2 to3 hours

Am going to practice on some scrap bits of wood 1st before attempting it. Messed up on the price of the bit ib the qoute already. Didn't realise they were ÂŁ25!!

Thanks for the vid. I think there was a video for the unica jig which someone put on here. It was very good

Did my solid oak ones easy even a recess for Belfast sink with drop beads. It's a time consuming process.

1/2" 1600w router with new cutter for each joint.

Jig - screw fix ÂŁ65ish

Few clams

Worktop jointing things - I also used biscuits and resin glue.

Follow instructions on jig.get right collet.
U start at side of hole in jig furthest from finished face, left to right or right to left cut no more than 7mm depth at a time. Once through drop router to full depth then go against face side of jig in one slow and steady swoop. The collet (guide bush) is 2mm smaller than the hole in the jig. As you gradually cut through u will leave a rough edge 2mm too long, the full depth cut removes the final 2mm and gives a razor sharp edge.
12mm straight cutters are cheap enough in boxes of 3 a wicks. Buy router from b&q use it then take back with an intermittent fault and get a refund!!

y2ehy3ys.jpg
6anusevy.jpg
Mine didn't hobnobs made a right mess!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm just glad I had brown worktops otherwise the chocolate digestives would have ruined the joint.

When I say I wouldn't do it, I meant I wouldn't be happy to take anyone's money for it. I'd try it out on my own house no problem.

Did my solid oak ones easy even a recess for Belfast sink with drop beads. It's a time consuming process.

1/2" 1600w router with new cutter for each joint.

Jig - screw fix ÂŁ65ish

Few clams

Worktop jointing things - I also used biscuits and resin glue.

Follow instructions on jig.get right collet.
U start at side of hole in jig furthest from finished face, left to right or right to left cut no more than 7mm depth at a time. Once through drop router to full depth then go against face side of jig in one slow and steady swoop. The collet (guide bush) is 2mm smaller than the hole in the jig. As you gradually cut through u will leave a rough edge 2mm too long, the full depth cut removes the final 2mm and gives a razor sharp edge.
12mm straight cutters are cheap enough in boxes of 3 a wicks. Buy router from b&q use it then take back with an intermittent fault and get a refund!!

Take it back. He he

Be a man and make your own jig out of MDF, my brother did. Well okay, he is a joiner and the most I've ever done with a butt and scribe joint is tighten the bolts. Takes a bit of skill that job but is something to be proud of when you run your finger nail over the join and can't feel or see a thing.

10mm ratchet spanner makes doing the bolts up a piece of cake remember to colourfill the joint or use a bit of clear silicone before nipping up the bolts, biscuits make for better joints and as has been said before cut into the edge and use a new router bit in a couple of passes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to kiychen jig routing video in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from each main country too. I'll post this in the Australian forum now.
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock