Currently reading:
kane 455 calibration

Discuss kane 455 calibration in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

princegoose

Hi,

My FGA is due for calibration. Found that Kane themselves do it, as do JMW ltd. Happy to go with JMW unless someone tells me otherwise. Any advice?

Thanks

go with kane if you have a new on and you get the extended warranty cover.

forgot to ask, did kane contact you to tell you about the calibration date? just wondering as mine is due soon but im a lazy git and cant remember where i filed the paperwork for it.

Hi, thanks, no they didn't. But the calibration date is over a month before i purchased it new so a bit confused about whether or not theyll cover it, was done oct 2010 :-(

they will continue the warranty for 5 years if you get it calibrated by themselves, i would phone them up and ask the question. Tell them you have been on holiday/working away and could not sort it out. If you are paying them to calibrate it i would think they wont have a problem as they will want your custom.

I had my trusted fluke thermometer checked for calibration and it came back with a document stating that it was under reading by 4 degrees at zero and boiling points. I didn't believe this and checked it in a flask of ice cubes stirred in a flask of water result, 0 degrees shown.

I then checked it against water boiling in a pot, result, 100 degrees shown. I live at sea level so no correction for altitude was neccessary. I contacted the calibration centre complaining and they sent a rep with a calibrator, which bore out my readings.

what do you suppose happened? they sent a calibration certificate that stated my thermometer met requirements provided that it was used at sea level.

sod calibration companies I will defend my equipment in court with science. (also posted elsewhere)

I had my trusted fluke thermometer checked for calibration and it came back with a document stating that it was under reading by 4 degrees at zero and boiling points. I didn't believe this and checked it in a flask of ice cubes stirred in a flask of water result, 0 degrees shown.

I then checked it against water boiling in a pot, result, 100 degrees shown. I live at sea level so no correction for altitude was neccessary. I contacted the calibration centre complaining and they sent a rep with a calibrator, which bore out my readings.

what do you suppose happened? they sent a calibration certificate that stated my thermometer met requirements provided that it was used at sea level.

sod calibration companies I will defend my equipment in court with science. (also posted elsewhere)

Oh well, Ive just sent it off to Kane.

Best of luck in court if a family die of CO poisoning after you've 'tested' their appliances. Unlikely maybe but not worth it. I take it you meant you'd not have ANYTHING calibrated again?

ive often thought this as well get one calibrated and weekly check others against it monday morning all gathered round the merchants boiler

Oh well, Ive just sent it off to Kane.

Best of luck in court if a family die of CO poisoning after you've 'tested' their appliances. Unlikely maybe but not worth it. I take it you meant you'd not have ANYTHING calibrated again?

thank you for your kind reminder, but what i was saying is that i take responsibility to check my equipment against science proven absolute references, not some twit who cannot use a calibrator properly...possibly also, maybe THEIR calibrator is only good at sea level I have a lot of good test equipment and a high regard for public safety and I don't want to stand in court saying "it wasn't me your honour, i had my kit tested by company X" the family would still be just as dead

thank you for your kind reminder, but what i was saying is that i take responsibility to check my equipment against science proven absolute references, not some twit who cannot use a calibrator properly...possibly also, maybe THEIR calibrator is only good at sea level I have a lot of good test equipment and a high regard for public safety and I don't want to stand in court saying "it wasn't me your honour, i had my kit tested by company X" the family would still be just as dead

Touche.

your at the mercy of these calibration companies, best to check fga if possible against another fga when you get it back.

i thought my kane 455 was giving high readings so i compared it to two testo analysers and it was bang on the same readings, turn out it was just the worcester boilers i was testing which seem to always give higher readings when new.

always best to check against something if possible.

i thought my kane 455 was giving high readings so i compared it to two testo analysers and it was bang on the same readings, turn out it was just the worcester boilers i was testing which seem to always give higher readings when new.

always best to check against something if possible.

i agree with you and others that use reliable references to test their kit against, my contention is that a calibration centre certificate is only as good as the person doing the calibration. with a hundred tests or more a day one or two may fall through the cracks.

I am tempted to send in one of my testers "baited" with a hidden fault to see what comes back

Hi , just expressing myself , as all this calibration ones a year is just rip off , I wonder what they mean by calibration them , guess just taking money from your account , don't thing the even open your equipment .

when you get your fga back from the calibration company with the certificate of calibration, i wonder if they give you a guarantee. lets say after 3 months the fga becomes inaccurate, can you send it back for a free re-calibration.

when you get your fga back from the calibration company with the certificate of calibration, i wonder if they give you a guarantee. lets say after 3 months the fga becomes inaccurate, can you send it back for a free re-calibration.

How would you know if it is inaccurate?

check it against another fga, but how do you know that's accurate as well. you can't really win i'm afraid. they've got you by the short & curlies.

they would simply say you had polluted it, dont know much about the calibration on these things, but surely if they check it and it is ok how can it become inaccurate? if the sensors are working surely the only thing that can happen is that is gets saturated, or i suppose if they were dodgy and didnt clean/change the sensors then they wouldnt last a yr, like a mechanic not changing the oil filter in the car

As I said earlier, sod calibration companies I will defend my equipment in court with science For example, Co2 can be accurately measured using hydrazine hydrate, or even limewater. When you have your sample measure it with your test instrument using your sample as a base reading

As I said earlier, sod calibration companies I will defend my equipment in court with science For example, Co2 can be accurately measured using hydrazine hydrate, or even limewater. When you have your sample measure it with your test instrument using your sample as a base reading

How would you calibrate your co sensor?

Using a graduated sampling tube, obtain a base reading (to measure with your Co2 detector) in the Co2 sampling tubes the sorbent is hydrazine hydrate. The gas sampling tubes are designed to measure the amount of a particular gas in a 1 litre air sample. Record this measurement, then measure the sample with your C02 detector and compare. If they agree your instrument is accurate

Using a graduated sampling tube, obtain a base reading (to measure with your Co2 detector) in the Co2 sampling tubes the sorbent is hydrazine hydrate. The gas sampling tubes are designed to measure the amount of a particular gas in a 1 litre air sample. Record this measurement, then measure the sample with your C02 detector and compare. If they agree your instrument is accurate

No co!!

Hi , just expressing myself , as all this calibration ones a year is just rip off , I wonder what they mean by calibration them , guess just taking money from your account , don't thing the even open your equipment .

bit of a sweeping statement that all calibration places simply take your cash without checking the equipmment, given that it is a safety item i would like to think they would check it properly for me, but then again there have been cases where garages have been caught out not changing oil and filter and gas guys being caught out doing work not required to boost income or not doing work that should be done, so it is possible, suppose its all about getting a reputable contractor and sticking with them, like we do with mechanics and sparks etc, i'm sure if you asked the question on here you would get certain good and bad recommendations

how much of your very valuable time goes against calibrating your own kit with all this equipment you need? surely far easier/safer/cheaper in the long run to simply get the work done by a contractor you trust, just as we ask our customers to do with their gas work, i bet you would give a customer some grief if they questioned your integrity and skill when servicing their boiler by saying they could do it themselves without getting ripped off
PS can you do me a favour and MOT my car for me cause that garage want £50 and thats a rip off, they only run the engine for 10 mins and stick a probe up the exhaust,

Last edited by a moderator:
forgot to ask, did kane contact you to tell you about the calibration date? just wondering as mine is due soon but im a lazy git and cant remember where i filed the paperwork for it.
kane will get in touch with you telling you your calibration is due.

how much of your very valuable time goes against calibrating your own kit with all this equipment you need? surely far easier/safer/cheaper in the long run to simply get the work done by a contractor you trust, just as we ask our customers to do with their gas work, i bet you would give a customer some grief if they questioned your integrity and skill when servicing their boiler by saying they could do it themselves without getting ripped off
PS can you do me a favour and MOT my car for me cause that garage want £50 and thats a rip off, they only run the engine for 10 mins and stick a probe up the exhaust,

Thank you kirk, My first reasonable response. I have had a few bad experiences with calibration centres, pat testers and installation electrical testers, so although it does take a bit of time EACH MONTH, I am always assured of the kits integrity and also take a bit more time to keep accurate records of each test.

I would gladly defend myself in court for doing my own calibration, than say to the bereaved " I sent my kit to XYZ for calibration, its not my fault they are dead" Most guys, if they are honest, wouldn't bother with calibration if it wasn't an issue

Regarding your car, I cannot do your MOT for you because I am not occupationally competent to do so, I stick to doing what I know, and the garage tests go straight to the DVLA computer, to prevent dodgy garages and cowboy mechanics from doing MOT's as in the past

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to kane 455 calibration in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock