Search the forum,

Discuss joining blue alkathene in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

johnnyisajoiner

Hi All members,
I have been asked recently to remodel a customers kitchen which involves knocking out an external wall to put in bi-fold doors. However on the wall side where the doors need to go the blue alkathene comes up through the concrete floor right in the centre of the proposed door opening, and joins to 15mm copper into stop tap under existing sink. I am needing advice on digging up the pipe from the concrete floor, joining with a coupling to a suitable pipe that will need to be reburied in concrete/cement based filling so I can relocate stop tap in sink unit in new proposed position. I await your replies.
Many thanks
Johnny

you need to move it from outside, dig and find pipe and relocate. I would not advise running the pipe in a screed.

you need to move it from outside, dig and find pipe and relocate. I would not advise running the pipe in a screed.

The alkathene runs from the front of the house (water meter and stop tap) under front garden and then right under the house from front to back under a solid floor and emerges through kitchen floor screed. Do you mean it would be better if I found the pipe in front garden joined it there and then re-routed it around the side of the house to the wall I need it on and then into the house?
This would involve lifting the flags around the side of the house to dig a new pipe in. What would be best to insulate the section of alkathene above ground level where it leaves the ground and up to above DPM level to house entry? It is turning into a bigger job than they expected but if thats what they want, I guess its gotta happen that way unless there is an easier method.

id just go to 22mm copper or hep and sleeve it in floor in an ideal world there shouldnt be a join in the screed but we all live in the real world
any half decent mercants will have the right fittings not having seen it i cant say for sure but you may already have the fittings on the pipe which you could reuse

stevetheplumber, what would you sleeve it with would the 9mm walled insulation sleeving do it or would it be better in plastic pipe sleeving?

I would sleeve it in plastic pipe, and seal from one end that way if you have a leak it will show

Blue alkathene? Was this used before blue MDPE?
Not sure, it may well be called MDPE but I always knew it as alkathene from way back and just call it that now, the pipe I was referring to is approx 10 years old so it may be Medium density polyethylene as opposed to alkathene.

it should not be run under the house, how do you know it does?
Just a bit of digging revealed it dissappearing under the house. It is in a direct line from the stopcock on the street to the kitchen at the rear of the house where it pops up again 6" inside the inner wall under the sink unit. It is a persimmon of yorkshire built house renowned for their short cuts and dodgy work.

Last edited by a moderator:
If its mdpe, personally i would cut a channel to desired position and extend with a mdpe coupler. Reduce down to copper at new position. Would lag pipework or wrap it in hairfelt, maybe use expanding foam along channel and screed over. Seen it done many a time on new builds where pipe has been brought into the wrong space.

If its mdpe, personally i would cut a channel to desired position and extend with a mdpe coupler. Reduce down to copper at new position. Would lag pipework or wrap it in hairfelt, maybe use expanding foam along channel and screed over. Seen it done many a time on new builds where pipe has been brought into the wrong space.

So have I sparky

Cheers this sounds like the easiest option , thanks to all others for your input, some varied suggestions but all helpful just the same

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to joining blue alkathene in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Pinhole in Black Alkathene 17.5 3/8" under concrete driveway. Hello, we have managed to 'dink' the mains water supply to our house, during some excavations for a drain. And we are hoping for some advice on the best way to proceed. The leak is only a pinhole, but after a few days it has escaped...
Replies
Views
Size of bathroom 230cm x 210cm Height 230cm Birmingham Area Initial problem Burst pipe underground in bathroom, concrete. Have had this dug up & made safe for now, have had affected pipe cut & put end caps on. Work required Full bathroom remove old tiles walls and floor. Renew tiling. New...
Replies
Views
T
I have some internal water pipes (some plastic, some copper) that have to go under the kitchen floor. There is no way around having to do this. Rest of floor is concrete and pipes are currently in a trench (approx 5-6 cms deep, 4-5 cms wide). The trench will need to be concreted over before...
Replies
Views
TAGolko
T
Hi, I need some help on this shower drain installation. I’m about to install a corner shower kit in my basement bathroom. But I just found out the shower drain is actually extruded from the bottom of the shower base and I have concrete floor with the drain pipe rough in. I have the drain pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, first post here So I have been boxing in a number of heating pipes that are throughout my garage since the boiler was located there by the previous owner, they decided to run pipes all along the edge of the garage floor... I do however have one that goes vertically out of the concrete...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock