Discuss JIB Do not recognise City & Guilds without NVQ in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
The guy I work with has a first year apprentice with him one day a week. He was talking about an assessment fitting a sink , they used speed fit and were given 8 hours to complete?
that sounds about right, we had 8 or 12 hours to fit a rad and pipe it up

yeah 1 meter of lcs going up and then joining to push fit then lcs tee of to the flow and return on the rad with only 1 offset.

And theres the Rub.

No college based courses are full nvq unless apprenticeship sponsored or explicitly stated at the outset.
They are Gnvq.
Im surprised the college lecturer didnt know that or at least make mention.
The Nvq is the full Qual comes after working onsite which is typically extra cost and made clear at the outset.

Only then do you have the full recognised cert.

So much negativity about people trying to enter the game.
And assumptions that every newby must have been born yesterday and incapable of doing the job.

Sure colleges are out to rape you. But isnt gas safe and benchmark. I.e.e and every other fecker.

I currently work with the insides of jet aircraft engines dont like it particularly (because its shift work). Doing inspections and tests.
Have a history of repairs and fault diagnostics from earlier days.
Im not super man - but thats good because being a plumber doesnt require a caped super hero.
My job is heavily assessed by the CAA and various other auditors - we cant afford jet engines going bang and falling apart 36000ft up.
Im not so self assured to presume that 80% of the people on here would be rubbish and no good at it and couldnt pick it up and learn. To the contrary I am quite sure most could !!

Or I could be arrogant and make blanket statements like "everyone new will be sh*t and useless and not to be trusted doing the job"

This isnt aimed at you. I am talking generally.

Please SOME . Hop of your pedestal for a minute and give yourself a slap.
Get a bit fed up of people in their ivory towers saying new entrants will be worse that sh@t. Because guess what.....one day YOU were too. But through training and experience and doing courses are now good within your scope.

Sure its a steep learning curve. Not everyone has the same ability or previous experience.

But some qualified engineers I have seen I wouldnt let them wash my car......'need a new boiler...ya need a new boiler. ..ye need a new boiler...... Others a great deal of respect and very very good....."aah yes I can fix this" lol

Last edited by a moderator:
I am looking for a change (no pension & getting bored etc etc) so how about a job swap phill ?(once I get a ladder to get down from the tower of coarse).
I am sure jet aircraft engines are not that difficult, mostly pipes & wires so with my background it would only take short while to get the hang of it.

Have a look at the link below phill, it's for the Plumbing qualification we have been talking about in this post, you known the one that is recognized by industry, you will notice it is an NVQ.

[DLMURL="http://www.cityandguilds.com/courses-and-qualifications/building-services-industry/plumbing/6189-plumbing-and-domestic-heating/level-2"]Level 2 qualifications and training courses | City & Guilds[/DLMURL]

That's the trouble you see there are a lot of people who fancy a change in life & think plumbing would be a good bet without finding out what it really entails or just how difficult it is.

Get your facts right if you want to have a go.
Signed -
The caped super hero :alucard:

College only based level 2 level 3 is a tech cert only and known as a Gnvq.

The full NVQ is portfolio based onsite.
Without completing the onsite work the college based work is worthless hence why JIB dont want to know and so many on here ask for the onsite work assistance in return for offering a free pair of hands to convert to the full NVQ

And jet engines are a doddle.
Just big lumps of titanium and inconel made into big spinney round thingys ;)
Bring your hammer - you start Monday. ..

Pilots report in maintenance log
"Strange noise, sounds like a midget with a hammer"

Maintenance Engineer in maintenance log
"Hammer removed from midget"

Phil u still up for some on site in September? I've got cherry and strawberry flavoured lube?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to JIB Do not recognise City & Guilds without NVQ in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi there, I'm sniffing around what to expect of getting a job in plumbing. My job makes me redundant at the end of September. The whole warehouse...
Replies
Views
Vacancies within our Plumbing Team at City College Norwich Full time, £23.789 - £34,606 per annum dependant on appointment An exciting...
Replies
Views
Over the summer I completed a level 2 diploma in plumbing (City and Guilds 6035) with Able Skills and am now looking to complete the NVQ level 2...
Replies
Views
Evening all, I am considering retraining and like a few on here I am in my 30s and currently working full time, four days a week. I read a bit...
Replies
Views
Hello Plumbers/Gas Engineers, Excuse if this question has been raised but i am in a slight dilemma and for the past 2 weeks the internet has not...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock