Discuss JIB Do not recognise City & Guilds without NVQ in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
2330 level 2 and 3. Also 2392 inspection and test and 17th ed. I bet most of the guys on here know more than me about stuff. Didn't even tough centeal heating controls. Cost distinctions throughout but without site experience I lack the confidence.

Your not safe / competent with electrics till you've had a good jolt, then you take isolation a bit more serious !

Your not safe / competent with electrics till you've had a good jolt, then you take isolation a bit more serious !
now you know thats carp,you have to blown across the room backwards first and have burnt hair

I got a bolt from a bare wire the boy electrician left floating around live! Would have brained him if he was on site!

in college there was 21 on the level 2 non nvq course and they all passed and not one of them are doing anything to do with plumbing now. its a stupid course really you can only do 75% in college the rest is onsite. its just keeping the college tutors in a job
As an ex-college tutor myself I can tell you all the plumbing lecturers are there to teach apprentices or trainees who do 4 day's training on site & 1 with them in colleges. Otherwise they have such a hard time trying to do their job properly.

Perhaps we should be looking towards governments who don't want 16 year old underachievers still in school & with no chance of employment, appearing on the statistics as unemployed.
So what to do ? lets offer them these stupid college course with the allure of increasing their chances of plumbing employment at the end of it, when we all know it is just wasting a couple of years of their very valuable young lives.

& we the tax payers pay for all that copper tube which will never see a drop of water or gas !!

6035 full time Level 2 AND 3 = full time college = 3 days a week tops 9 to 4 if you are luck with breaks, sound like site working hours to you?. LEVEL 3 for someone who has never put a foot on site & guess what there is gas & electrical in there as well, are these people mad ??? oh know they needed the L3 to keep them in there for the second year. :32::rant::furious3::chillpill::girl_hug: rant over back to painting now.

in college there was 21 on the level 2 non nvq course and they all passed and not one of them are doing anything to do with plumbing now. its a stupid course really you can only do 75% in college the rest is onsite. its just keeping the college tutors in a job

When my nipper was doing his NVQ 2, the course time overran. Not one of the 19 in his class done their booth work as it's the last thing they do. Upon returning after summer break the college wanted each student to pay around £1,200 to bring someone in to oversee said booth work.
NO CHANCE.
So next time round, and he'll most probably have to start from scratch, and its Rugby college, as they have a great rep.
College doesn't teach a student how to: lift boards and replace, chase out or plan a job, affix rads to dot and dab or the various type of alternative fixtures and fitting one can use from under the sink work , guts of a W.C. or have a selection of old and new taps available to the students to have a play with and understand their differences.Sounds silly but true.
There's no true real life work, as in get down and dirty.

Last edited:
When my nipper was doing his NVQ 2, the course time overran. Not one of the 19 in his class done their booth work as it's the last thing they do. Upon returning after summer break the college wanted each student to pay around £1,200 to bring someone in to oversee said booth work.
NO CHANCE.
So next time round, and he'll most probably have to start from scratch, and its Rugby college, as they have a great rep.
College doesn't teach a student how to: lift boards and replace, chase out or plan a job, affix rads to dot and dab or the various type of alternative fixtures and fitting one can use from under the sink work , guts of a W.C. or have a selection of old and new taps available to the students to have a play with and understand their differences.Sounds silly but true.
There's no true real life work, as in get down and dirty.

That is very true, fixing rads to ply walls. We have done a bathroom assessment the wastes where already in. The pipe work was mostly plastic push fit every single joint leaked because the fittings are old, we spent more time fixing leaks thank actually fitting the bathroom.

The guy I work with has a first year apprentice with him one day a week. He was talking about an assessment fitting a sink , they used speed fit and were given 8 hours to complete?

The guy I work with has a first year apprentice with him one day a week. He was talking about an assessment fitting a sink , they used speed fit and were given 8 hours to complete?

Kitchen sink? Never had that on any assessments.

In the colleges I work in fitting a sink unit is one of the assessments, you get 3.5hrs to do it, waste boss is already there and two blanked/valves supplies, they have to work from a drawing with specific measurements for 1st leg off offsets, but not size of offset, if that makes sense, so they are assessed on pipe bending as well, rather than letting them put any size of tail on the offset etc
If a guy says he gets 8hrs I can't say he's lying, more likely he said a day, but remember a college day is only 6.5hrs and it depends how accurate they need to be

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to JIB Do not recognise City & Guilds without NVQ in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi there, I'm sniffing around what to expect of getting a job in plumbing. My job makes me redundant at the end of September. The whole warehouse...
Replies
Views
Vacancies within our Plumbing Team at City College Norwich Full time, £23.789 - £34,606 per annum dependant on appointment An exciting...
Replies
Views
Over the summer I completed a level 2 diploma in plumbing (City and Guilds 6035) with Able Skills and am now looking to complete the NVQ level 2...
Replies
Views
Evening all, I am considering retraining and like a few on here I am in my 30s and currently working full time, four days a week. I read a bit...
Replies
Views
Hello Plumbers/Gas Engineers, Excuse if this question has been raised but i am in a slight dilemma and for the past 2 weeks the internet has not...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock