Search the forum,

Discuss Isolate water supply to shower attached to comb boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Just in time for a happy new year, we have discovered a leak in our loft where a shower was installed. It looks like it is leaking from a plastic fitting on pipe work - I want to isolate the supply until I can get it looked at/replaced etc.
I have attached some photos to my post to give an idea. I can see valves on on the pipes that look like I can isolate the shower - these are on pipes that are attached to our combi boiler.

We moved into property a year ago and I have never had a combi boiler before. My question is, is it ok to turn off these valves to isolate the shower supply? Will it have any adverse affect on our combo boiler? Anything I need to know or bear in mind?

Many thanks for any advice!

pipes to shower.JPG

pipes down to boiler.JPG

isolation?.jpeg

If those two isolation valves in the last picture you posted are supplying water to the shower with the leaking pipework you can safely use them to cut water off to the leak, it won't affect your combi in anyway.

Also if you are able to isolate the water to the leak, and the leak is comings from one of the plastic fittings, you should be able to replace it yourself fairly quickly and easily (and safely). Feel free to pop back with any questions if you decide to try and fix it yourself.

shower end does look like its chrome but you can get a tool that scores the chrome so the grab ring seats correctly

shower end does look like its chrome but you can get a tool that scores the chrome so the grab ring seats correctly
What are these tools you speak of? I always file mine down and solder them but when in loft this isn't always practical so to be able to use push fit would be great

So one removes the chrome, the other creates a ridge for the grab ring to bite into. The tectite one does seem the more awkward one for tight spaces though. Has anyone actually used either and do they work?

Reply to Isolate water supply to shower attached to comb boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't install any isolating cocks in the H&C feed to the tap so how can I identify which of the valves is passing? Shut the whole H&C water system down?
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock