Discuss is time served the same as an apprenticeship in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
they should introduce a trade test like every other trade at the end of apprenticeship

we used to have this and it was changed to be continual assessment, i think all trades are the same. many smaller assessments throughout the year is easier to achieve imo. having said that, what was stopping somebody doing nothing for 2 years and then passing the end test?

I have much the same opinion of colleges as Gray.
4 lads i sent through collage and the standard of teaching definitely dropped over the years. So much so i complained to both the collage and Snipef with the last one. How can you pass an exam, or stupid module as they are now, and be totally clueless on the subject? It happens all the time because there is no need to actually memorise anything when you have the books in front of you.

I think it is an overall education thing though and not just confined to colleges.

You put it a lot beter than me tamz
To me learning is about hands on

Yes I call it basic nvq3 as I see 2 of our boys doing it and they hate going as they learn nothing that's in there words we don't go gas over here we do oil
So I can't comment on gas side I did gas separate and never touched any natural just LPG
Unvented can be done in 2 days
Maybe your colleges are a lot better I don't know but where I live to be frank I think there crap
You say it gives complete training plumb up a couple of rads in black iron on industrial install lol what does that teach how to use a hand threader that's about it
I saw boys who only did industrial plumbing and did not have a clue about domestic but still passed gave you ever heard of ANYONE failing I have not
That's my opinion

"un-vented" can be done in 2 days - only if you are experienced, not a newbie
"a couple of rads in black iron on industrial install lol what does that teach how to use a hand threader that's about it" They cannot teach you to install a complete office block or similar! thats for work to do, the college is there to give the underpinning skills, measure, cut, mark, knock off center to end of thread, thread joint, use jointing compound, tighten fitting, mark walls, fit rad level and put together then test. This can then be applied when on site to a larger scale
"ever heard of ANYONE failing I have not" ooh yes i have, its unlikely all will pass. what often happens is learners realise they cannot pass and its beyond them and they leave the course, technically they haven't failed, just left the course due to some circumstance. All exams are on line and I'd be surprised if most plumbers could walk in and pass without revision
"I see 2 of our boys doing it and they hate going as they learn nothing" I have heard young employees say they learn nothing at college, this is often because they are too lazy to learn, dont want to do the work and its easier to blame the college than it is to go back to work and tell the truth, this may not be the case with your 2, but it is the case in the majority of my experience

​What was your own experience when you went to college as an apprentice? did you do the NVQ3 or the C&G advanced certificate?

sparks, joiners, painters etc still do a trades test

ill have to take your word for that mate, i thought most if not all were continual assessment. im not sure were i stand on this one, i see benefits of each system

i remember all my mates panicing about their trades test around the time i was panicing about my ACS lol

You put it a lot beter than me tamz
To me learning is about hands on

with building servcies trades become more complex and sophisticated I feel the theory side of our trade is becoming more important. If anything with the introduction of jointing like speedfit the actual practical skills are less than they were a few decades ago. However systems are far more sophisticated

Yes nvq3
Not lazy good lads
I have seen complete numptys pass nvq3 could not join there hands together if they stay till end they WILL pass
Fuzzy I'm guessing your an instructor??

i remember all my mates panicing about their trades test around the time i was panicing about my ACS lol

yes thats the counter argument, somebody could be very good all throughout the qual and then bottle it on assessment day. I suppose you could counter counter (lol) with, in life you are put under pressure and you have to deal with it. too many doo gooders to let us put people under that pressure as often these days

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to is time served the same as an apprenticeship in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

S
Hi, I have some knowledge of plumbing and heating and have installed several in my time. I have a new Worcester Bosch Greenstar 40CDi Classic...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I really hope you can help me. I'm 26 now and live in London, I've been doing a bit of career hopping since leaving school at 16 in...
Replies
Views
This maybe isn't so much about asking for advice as giving it 🤔 I had a leaking HW cylinder (23 years old) that I got fed up patching up with...
Replies
Views
I'm coming on this forum and moderating all posts for a good few weeks, and running searches on old posts. I'm noticing things, and some are being...
Replies
Views
Hello All, I have been having just the worst problems with the heating system where I am renting a house. The smells that the boiler and...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock