Discuss is time served the same as an apprenticeship in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
i must be very hard for someone trying to get into plumbing at a older age without being time served, ive been doing this for 14 yr now and still dont know everything, im lucky that my dads been doing it all his life and my grandad worked for bg too..

but you're only as good as your teacher and ive found the older i get the less i ask off my dad. i need to search and ask gas safe a lot more.. for someone not to be time served must be a right pain, i can imagine them bodge jobing everything and the other half sticking with searching a lot through books, internat and ringing gas safe..

aslong as you do things right and by the book, i cant see a problem with being time served or not

i have an uncle who fought in the suez crisis as a sapper and went to korea or something for a few years then was demobbed.
he went to work for my grandads building business and covered all the plumbing works somewhere around 1969?. he cant read or write too well and didnt do college, i make him around 76 now, and he still does 40 hours a week and is found most weeks pointing out a chimneys or dropping down a flue liner or digging up a service main even in the middle of winter.

not sure now as i allways thought he was time served (40 years in the trade), guess he's just a .c.c.c when you think about it then as he wasnt 16 when he started neither?

Last edited by a moderator:
i have an uncle who fought in the suez crisis as a sapper and went to korea or something for a few years then was demobbed.
he went to work for my grandads building business and covered all the plumbing works somewhere around 1969?. he cant read or write too well and didnt do college, i make him around 76 now, and he still does 40 hours a week and is found most weeks pointing out a chimneys or dropping down a flue liner or digging up a service main even in the middle of winter.

not sure now as i allways thought he was time served (40 years in the trade), guess he's just a .c.c.c when you think about it then as he wasnt 16 when he started neither?

Redsaw make sure you point out to your uncle that as he has only been plumbing for 40 years he is not a time served plumber lol

Think I started something here lol... To be honest does it really matter how long you have been doing it as long as u are qualified, safe and know what you are doing. Everyone has there own opinion but like I said before I have seen people who have been doing this for years and still not too sure on alot of things, others who have been 1-2 years and they seem to be spot on with everything. I think the cowboys who go out not registered are the ones who are the real problem.

it all depends on the individual we all know that there are right mongs out there who have been doing this job for years but in the eyes of most because they are "experienced" they must be good

Think I started something here lol... To be honest does it really matter how long you have been doing it as long as u are qualified, safe and know what you are doing. Everyone has there own opinion but like I said before I have seen people who have been doing this for years and still not too sure on alot of things, others who have been 1-2 years and they seem to be spot on with everything. I think the cowboys who go out not registered are the ones who are the real problem.

Well it was you who started it so yes to you it does matter

Re: Passed!!!

well said redsaw mate, dont see how me not doing an apprentiship doesnt make me time served. Not everyone can get on an apprentiship and there seems to be a pattern now that unless u have done a 5 year apprentiship your not up to scratch, i dont agree at all. I have spent time with engineers that have done full apprentiships and they would not know their rse from there elbow, some on the other hand are excellent.

you may be right but the term time served is known commonly or refers normally to somebody who has done a full 4 year apprentiiceship

you may be right but the term time served is known commonly or refers normally to somebody who has done a full 4 year apprentiiceship

So your saying it don't mater what age as long as you do your 4years go to college and get your nvqs is this time served?????

So your saying it don't mater what age as long as you do your 4years go to college and get your nvqs is this time served?????

going to college and doing nvq's isnt necessarily an apprenticeship. Check out the plumbing & heating tab on this link [DLMURL="http://www.summitskills.org.uk/Apprenticeships/498"]SummitSkills | Apprenticeship frameworks[/DLMURL]

going to college and doing nvq's isnt necessarily an apprenticeship. Check out the plumbing & heating tab on this link [DLMURL="http://www.summitskills.org.uk/Apprenticeships/498"]SummitSkills | Apprenticeship frameworks[/DLMURL]

Lol a diplomat answer

Any apprentice we have ever had did not learn very much at collage was learnt out on site

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to is time served the same as an apprenticeship in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

S
Hi, I have some knowledge of plumbing and heating and have installed several in my time. I have a new Worcester Bosch Greenstar 40CDi Classic...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I really hope you can help me. I'm 26 now and live in London, I've been doing a bit of career hopping since leaving school at 16 in...
Replies
Views
This maybe isn't so much about asking for advice as giving it 🤔 I had a leaking HW cylinder (23 years old) that I got fed up patching up with...
Replies
Views
I'm coming on this forum and moderating all posts for a good few weeks, and running searches on old posts. I'm noticing things, and some are being...
Replies
Views
Hello All, I have been having just the worst problems with the heating system where I am renting a house. The smells that the boiler and...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock