Search the forum,

Discuss Is this vent pipe location dangerous? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

I live on the second floor of a six story building and the basement flat directly below me at the back of the building has a small courtyard that is walled in on all sides. So essentially it's like a high, two story walled well.

On the other side of one wall is a heating/hot water boiler of some kind and although the boiler has an outlet pipe that 'technically' fulfils the requirement of an external vent, the reality is that the 'outside' in this case is the two story deep courtyard well that the occupants of that flat use and often have outdoor meals in.
They also sleep in their home with windows open for air.

I'm not experienced in plumbing or heating engineering at all but every time I look out of my window and down at the hooked vent pipe I wonder what is being vented and as it is pointing back down into the enclosed courtyard well then I wonder if the vented fumes building up with no open draft to carry them away? And is there a danger one day that the occupants of the basement flat will have the fumes build up and seep in through their open window and poison them in their sleep. Or if not kill them then at least be a possible, gradual detriment to their health?

I've mentioned it to the occupants of the flat and also one of the building managers but they don't seem concerned but as I am concerned then I feel like it's my responsibility to at least ask some professionals.

Thanks for reading.

LG courtyard flume.jpg

That's crazy, looks like at least 3 different flues bodged together, would definitely be sending some pics over to gas Safe if I were you. Also if the flue is in such a state makes you wander what else is wrong the installation inside!!!

Don't delay, do as all have said above.
Proper abomination there, someone needs serious re-education & a visit to the courts.
If you don't want to contact gas safe yourself pm me & i will do it.
Andy

Don't delay, do as all have said above.
Proper abomination there, someone needs serious re-education & a visit to the courts.
If you don't want to contact gas safe yourself pm me & i will do it.
Andy
Nothing will happen to anyone unfortunately. It will classed as a DIY job and they will be told to sort it.

Nothing surprises me anymore with regulators & issues like this.
They get told/advised to sort as you mention & that's it...
Never mind as long as i see anything when working i will continue to ensure that customers are safe.

Does make you think of Darwins theory of evolution & people's stupidity/ignorance & actions/repercussions, maybe there is something in it....

Reply to Is this vent pipe location dangerous? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock