Search the forum,

Discuss Is this vent pipe location dangerous? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

I live on the second floor of a six story building and the basement flat directly below me at the back of the building has a small courtyard that is walled in on all sides. So essentially it's like a high, two story walled well.

On the other side of one wall is a heating/hot water boiler of some kind and although the boiler has an outlet pipe that 'technically' fulfils the requirement of an external vent, the reality is that the 'outside' in this case is the two story deep courtyard well that the occupants of that flat use and often have outdoor meals in.
They also sleep in their home with windows open for air.

I'm not experienced in plumbing or heating engineering at all but every time I look out of my window and down at the hooked vent pipe I wonder what is being vented and as it is pointing back down into the enclosed courtyard well then I wonder if the vented fumes building up with no open draft to carry them away? And is there a danger one day that the occupants of the basement flat will have the fumes build up and seep in through their open window and poison them in their sleep. Or if not kill them then at least be a possible, gradual detriment to their health?

I've mentioned it to the occupants of the flat and also one of the building managers but they don't seem concerned but as I am concerned then I feel like it's my responsibility to at least ask some professionals.

Thanks for reading.

LG courtyard flume.jpg

That's crazy, looks like at least 3 different flues bodged together, would definitely be sending some pics over to gas Safe if I were you. Also if the flue is in such a state makes you wander what else is wrong the installation inside!!!

Don't delay, do as all have said above.
Proper abomination there, someone needs serious re-education & a visit to the courts.
If you don't want to contact gas safe yourself pm me & i will do it.
Andy

Don't delay, do as all have said above.
Proper abomination there, someone needs serious re-education & a visit to the courts.
If you don't want to contact gas safe yourself pm me & i will do it.
Andy
Nothing will happen to anyone unfortunately. It will classed as a DIY job and they will be told to sort it.

Nothing surprises me anymore with regulators & issues like this.
They get told/advised to sort as you mention & that's it...
Never mind as long as i see anything when working i will continue to ensure that customers are safe.

Does make you think of Darwins theory of evolution & people's stupidity/ignorance & actions/repercussions, maybe there is something in it....

Reply to Is this vent pipe location dangerous? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

During November we have to replace a corroded cast soil pipe on the exterior wall of the 1st and 2nd floors of our 1930’s building. Fine. However, it also has a smaller diameter pipe running beside it up the full height. It appears out of the wall, level with the first floor toilet, runs up the...
Replies
Views
Hello. I am planning to build a small half bath in my garage, next to a washing machine, using old showers plumbing. There was a stand-alone shower in the garage which has been removed. Unfortunately the pipes are only 1.5" on that side of the house since there's no bathroom and the house is...
Replies
Views
Need some advice, neighbors sewer drain keeps blocking up every few months. My wife and I have always chipped in with the other three neighbors for unclogging tho we never experience ours clogging up. Sure we had it clog up once and had it blown out with high pressure water from local plumber...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and just some background on myself. I have 4 years experience as a plumber but haven't worked in the trade in 15 years. I would say my overall knowledge is not great as I did most of the 4 years working on rinse and repeat estates of houses. I was also quite young and...
Replies
Views
I live on the 3rd floor of a 6-story block of flats. (26 flats in total). During the evening when all people are inside their flats and using their boilers to heat their flats, there is obviously lots of steam coming out of all the different Boiler Flue Vents. if I open my window or go outside...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock