Discuss Is this a main line and water meter in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi- In an apartment and the attached picture is what I have. I am looking to install a magnetic descaler on the main water line and want to know if the cylindrical thing is a meter (I don't pay for water as part of rent) and why the ball valve is 1/2 shut on what appears to be the main pipe

I do have low water pressure.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Sams water setup.jpg
    Sams water setup.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 28
Yes it is and probably to reduce the flow try opting it fully and see if you notice anything

The pipe through the wall will probably be your main cold service to other outlets eg kitchen sink etc

Pressure and flow are different things. If that is a ball valve, then the fact it is half closed will affect flow rates but not necessarily pressure.
As for a magnetic descaler I was taught that there are two types of hard water, permanent and temporary. Magnetic fields can have a slight impact on temporary hardness but won’t touch Permanent hardness. The east of England and London have permanent hard water so you’ll need to install a catalyst style water softener or conditioner to have any effect. Other areas of the U.K., you might need to speak to your LWA (local water authority) before spending your money.

Reply to Is this a main line and water meter in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Can I fit a water meter to this, and if so would anyone know what make and what I would need to do to fit it, picture attached
Replies
Views
I live in Azerbaijan and am looking to revamp the water system in my house. The first thing is that I don't have a water meter - probably a good...
Replies
Views
I live in an apartment block where generally hot water is supplied from the communal hot water cylinder and cold water to bathrooms is supplied...
Replies
Views
I live in an apartment with a cold water tank. The cold water tank feeds the cold water tap in the sink and the bath. Recently, I refurbished my...
Replies
Views
A
  • Question
Hi, I have a combi-boiler system and while I did some plumbing many years ago I have never fitted a combi-boiler and am confused by this problem ...
Replies
Views
Allan 1234
A
Back