Discuss Is steel ok for a new 22mm gas pipe? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

diyit

Hi,

I'm currently renovating my house including all new plumbing and would like some advice on the new gas pipe. I am not a plumber and I appreciate that I may get a lot of replies simply saying 'Get a plumber to do it' but I will not be connecting the new pipe to either the new boiler or the meter. I plan to fit the new pipe throughout the house and then have the plumber check, pressure test and connect up when he/she installs the boiler. As the house is completely stripped the plumber will be able to see every inch of the new pipe and all connections.

Anyway, my question is, does the new gas pipe have to be copper? The old one was a mixture of 1" OD steel, 15mm and 22mm copper running all over the place to the hob and gas fires. I have removed this completely and when fitting the new one it will be running straight from the meter approximately 13m through the ground floor and then up approximately 4.5m to the boiler, there will be no take-offs.

The reason I ask is that I've had two plumbers round to give me quotes and they both say that the new pipe needs to be a minimum of 22mm copper. The 22mm I understand but I don't see why it needs to be copper as surely steel is a lot stronger, more durable and as it's not outside there will be minimum corrosion, if any? I just don't like the idea of copper gas pipe everywhere, its so SOFT!

I can't find anything online saying that a new gas pipe has to be copper but as both plumbers said it I thought I better check.

Many thanks in advance!

DIYIT

I got as far as "I plan to fit the new pipe throughout the house and then have the plumber check" - DON'T DO IT YOURSELF, GET A GAS SAFE REGISTERED ENGINEER TO DO IT.

Gas Safety (installation & Use) regulations! No person shall carry out work to a gas fitting unless they are competent to do so. This includes a pipe that is intended to be used as a gas fitting. Get a GSR man in to do the necessary work.

if you were to call me in later to inspect and pass your work it would be very expensive as youd watch me fitting and installing a load of ms pipe all over again!!!!!!!!

Text on my phone received 27/02/2013.

Be Aware.

An RGI is only permitted to certify his/her own work.

Report an illegal installer at RGII - Registered Gas Installers

Rgds,

RGII

RGI = Irish version of GSR

RGII = equal of UK Gas Safe Register

As both organisations have very similar rules and Laws to work within I would pay particular heed to the posts by Keefy, Reg Man & lame plumber

Wow! Thanks everyone for your seriously fast responses!

OK consider myself educated. I assumed as long as the pipework and joints were visible, they could be signed off. I will be calling back the plumbers.

However nothing was mentioned about the original question....does it have to be in copper? As I mentioned I would prefer to have steel but both plumbers insisted it had to be copper???

Thanks again,

DIYIT

Not many people use steel on domestic properties these days. Can be either steel or copper. Copper is quicker and easier to fit.

what ever is used, you arent entitled to fit it, visible joints or not. If you want to pay for steel Id be happy to install it its your choice

Plumbers tend not to appreciate the customer 'helping' them on a job.

Steel? cutting, threading, fittings extra labour........unless you live in scrapmanville and are worried of it being ripped from an external wall just get a gsr plumber to do it in copper...

And for all that it could still be wrong.

While you're talking to your new found friend ask him to size it properly.

Please go to Gas Safe Register | Ensure your gas engineer is registered. or post a thread in the 'I'm looking for a plumber / gas engineer' section of these forums remembering to include your location. [DLMURL="http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/im-looking-plumber-gas-engineer/"]I'm looking for a Plumber or Gas Engineer[/DLMURL]

Thread closed as OP has seen the error of his ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Is steel ok for a new 22mm gas pipe? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I have an old steel water mains pipe (approx 45mm) that I need to connect to a new pehd water mains (25mm). I can't get at it to create a new...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock