Currently reading:
Is it really cheaper for me to have central heating on all day than a gas fire?

Discuss Is it really cheaper for me to have central heating on all day than a gas fire? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

hollyoaks777

Is it really cheaper for me to have central heating on than a gas fire? My fire is an open coal effect gas fire I can't find mine as it's 14year old. I just moved house last year and brought my Marble fireplace and gas fire with me. I also want to know if I get a new Boiler would my bills be cheaper. I don't know how old my boiler is as it's a council property and it was there when I moved in.

But plumber checked with his supplier and says he has been selling spare parts for it for 10 years. It's a SIME
code: 8104011
Model: Ecomfort plus 30 HE
GC No 47-283-14

I have an extra bedroom in my property and I am downstairs now but the radiator is at frost setting in back bedroom my gas bill is now £61 a month whereas I was only £39 at my old property and I used the central heating a lot more in my old property than this one. I have asked about my relations My sister is only £60 a month and is in a 4 bedroom house of her own up and downstairs 2 adults and 2 kids and she is only £60 a month, my cousin is in a 3 bedroom house up and downstairs and is only £46 a month for 2 adults and a kid. I am in a 2 bedroom 4 in a block house groundfloor with 2 bedrooms of which I don't use the radiator in the back bedroom and I am £61 a month and I am on my own I can't afford to heat the house the way I want to. And I am in debt to the supplier.

And concil have told me I am not getting a new boiler as it has spare parts for it. and it's burning at 29.52Kw and is only a 30Kw boiler. So they told me not to use my gas fire turn all radiators down to 2 apart from Living Room keep it at full. Would a new boiler make any difference

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope your investigations are successful so please keep the thread updated. I may be mistaken but my feeling is that you simply have a different larger, colder flat so it's going to cost you a bit more to heat. £20/m extra is a lot to you so it may be worth contacting the moneysavingexpert.com forum for better advice over tariffs as well as social care and advice.

ATB.

I hope your investigations are successful so please keep the thread updated. I may be mistaken but my feeling is that you simply have a different larger, colder flat so it's going to cost you a bit more to heat. £20/m extra is a lot to you so it may be worth contacting the moneysavingexpert.com forum for better advice over tariffs as well as social care and advice.

ATB.

Do you yourself think that's all it is even with the radiator off in the back bedroom?

I should only be using 8000 or 9000 and that is extreme
for 1 person in the house. 20000 is a national average for a 4 bedroom house national average with
2 adults and 2 kids. Is what I was told I should be using Richard at SSE told me. So I think what would really help me is what is the average for a single person in a 2 Bedroom house.

It was this guy that said there is no way you are using that and quoted the above suggesting it was my meter. He was more than happy to get the meter tested for me with the charge if it is not faulty. I used 15,685kw in a year.

But going by what he said and the other people I have asked My siter to be precise as that's the exact size of house she is in with 2 adults and 2 kids all having showers each morning apart from my wee neice who has to have a bath every morning. Because of her spinabifia. and she was only £60 a month with the 4 of them but now only 3 of them and you know what women are like with the heating.

I think average use is precisely that, average, which'll mean that for most people it isn't on during the day (during the week) so you could well rack up that sort of use and there are just far too many variables to rely on figures given by others like your sister.

Your best bet is to speak to another ground floor neighbour in the same building that has the same system and ask about their usage and cost and that'll give a more accurate idea over whether your usage is excessive or not.

Last edited:
I think average use is precisely that, average, which'll mean that for most people it isn't on during the day (during the week) so you could well rack up that sort of use.

There are just far too many differences to start making a direct and relevant comparison with others like your sister, your best bet is to speak to another ground floor neighbour in the same building that has the same system and ask about their usage and cost.
Next door would be Ideal but they bought the house over a year ago and haven't moved in yet. I am bloody roasting doing this test. I will have to have a few days in my long Johns and theramal long sleeve shirt lol. To account for the wastage.

Having an empty property next door will increase heat loss through party wall.

Next door would be Ideal but they bought the house over a year ago and haven't moved in yet. I am bloody roasting doing this test. I will have to have a few days in my long Johns and theramal long sleeve shirt lol. To account for the wastage.

You shouldn't be roasting should you, where is your room stat?

You shouldn't be roasting should you, where is your room stat?
In the hall mate not sweating roasting but very warm as Living Room radiator I was told to keep it at full. the rest at 2.

hollyoaks, I hope you get sorted out, but some posts gets to the point where you begin to think 'This is a Wind-up'? I'm not sure what's going on here, but whatever it is, it's unfruitful.

hollyoaks, I hope you get sorted out, but some posts gets to the point where you begin to think 'This is a Wind-up'? I'm not sure what's going on here, but whatever it is, it's unfruitful.
Are you saying I am not telling you the truth!!! I can whole heartedly tell you I am and have only made one mistake today for a maximum of an hour I would say. When the wireless control goes off itself. Don't ask me why it does that, must be a thing to save you money if you went out and left the heating on. Why else would I be wasting all my gas. I want to get the correct result it's been on the whole day. And I thought we were coming to an end tomorrow. With the gas fire on all day. That's one thing you will never get me doing is telling lies. Never have never will. I put it on at 8am but never took a picture of the meter until 9:32am. I haven't slept a wink and have just took my medicine knowing that it will knock me out tonight. And hoping that I don't mess up and fall asleep. But I can't change my times for my medicines and I am determined to see it throgh to 9:32pm. You've really hurt my feelings if that is what you think. Is it?

With a hundred posts and no resolution we all need medication.
I am dissapointed in the Joke you make of medicine. I am on numerous medications for my conditions and you're going to get a result tonight. And tomorrow night aswell. Yes I admit it took a while to get it through to me about the Boiler but you have no idea of the fighting it takes to get things done and that is why I wanted to be more than sure that it wasn't a new boiler I needed as once the fighting starts I can't change my mind and say oh I want a new boiler if it was just radiators I was going to fight for, for example. and I can only apologise for that. But again I can't thank everyone enough for putting up with me for that and I just bloody remembered Christmas is nearly here so I can't do the test with the meter. Then again I might not have to. I might not have to fight for anything and to me that is well worth all this toing and froing as stress makes 2 of my major conditions a hell of a lot worse so please hang in there with me until tonight. And for the gas fire test tomorrow. And that's it done and dusted I now know I don't need a new boiler which I wasn't completely sure and radiators migh help a bit. To which I did not know any of so it's not been unfruitful to me quite the oposite and again I am sorry and thank you all for hhanging in there with me. And I mean that from the bottom of my heart!

In the hall mate not sweating roasting but very warm as Living Room radiator I was told to keep it at full. the rest at 2.

If your room stat is in the hall, then I would think it advisable to turn the radiator in the living rooms thermostatic valve (if you have one) to a sensible setting of about number 4.
Your room stat in the hall won't control the living room temperature accurately

Last edited:
If your room stat is in the hall, then I would think it advisable to turn the radiator in the living rooms thermostatic valve (if you have one) to a sensible setting of about number 4.
Your room stat in the hall won't control the living room temperature accurately
I am going to keep it at full mate for the remainder of this test. Thanks again buddy.

Warm is just fine, knock the rad thermostat to 4 or 3 or whatever temp is comfortable without being too hot. What temp do have the hall thermostat and what is the point of "testing" your system at an unrealistically high temp?

Last edited:
Warm is just fine, knock the rad thermostat to 4 or 3 or whatever temp is comfortable without being too hot. What temp do have the hall thermostat and what is the point of "testing" your system at an unrealistically high temp?

I am testing at 21 degrees Celsius as that's what I use mate. At my dinner be back asap.

I am going to keep it at full mate for the remainder of this test. Thanks again buddy.

No point really. No thermostatic radiator valve should be much above number 4. That's going to give a room temperature of approx 24 degrees. If you turn it to number 5 setting the temperature will be about 29 degrees if you want a sauna.

Sounds like he has a programmable room stat, says he cant understand why it turns off, if he cant understand how it works he may be better to get it replaced with a basic RF unit on a stand so he can move it around with him.

No point really. No thermostatic radiator valve should be much above number 4. That's going to give a room temperature of approx 24 degrees. If you turn it to number 5 setting the temperature will be about 29 degrees if you want a sauna.
Yes But I am better keeping it at that just now. the plumber told me 28. Once I have done the test I will put it down to 4 mate.

Sounds like he has a programmable room stat, says he cant understand why it turns off, if he cant understand how it works he may be better to get it replaced with a basic RF unit on a stand so he can move it around with him.
No I only know the basics of the thermostat. So yes maybe but I won't get it as they won't give me an extra one for my Bedroom to use when I can't walk. I have been told to use my electric blanket. So no way will I get it.

Setting 18 degree's for a hall thermostat is plenty, set your rad stat to 3 or 4. You'll probably find that's where your extra £20 a month has been going.

Heating controls - five money-saving tips - Creating an energy saving home - Which? Energy
Now that would be a result it's a danfoss wireless heating control and is only set to come on above 20 but I must have done something as when I turn it on now it comes on at 20 sometimes. Going to have a look on youtube to see if I can get it on my own. Failing that I will be calling for a heating engineer. And the last one I had didn't have a clue either

You obviously have internet else I wouldn't suggest this: you may find you can download instructions for your thermostat online if you put in the make and model number and do a bit of hunting.

You obviously have internet else I wouldn't suggest this: you may find you can download instructions for your thermostat online if you put in the make and model number and do a bit of hunting.
Yes I do mate and I am off to hunt.

Yes I do mate and I am off to hunt. It's danfoss tp50001 I think that's the last model mentioned TP5001+RF

Yes I do mate and I am off to hunt. It's danfoss tp50001 I think that's the last model mentioned TP5001+RF

Stuff what people tell you to set your stat at! Your perception of warmth is different to mine or anybody else's.

For example. I like a cool house, Mrs Croppie doesn't.

Going by what you've said on here I would contact Scottish Power if I were you. They should be only too pleased to help you. If that gets you nowhere get on to environmental health.

1709 is the meter reading at 9:32pm, thanks everyone off to bed my guts are killing me. Oh, I get a sleep tonight. There's one major thing I forgot about my old house. And it is that it did not have a thermostat just a control, with on twice on all day and on. So I don’t know what the temperature was. I just had on twice a day setting and put it on and off whenever I was cold it had 24 hour clock on it, that revolved. So I don’t know if you guys would know what temperature that would be set at!

With no room stat the temperature is set by the boiler, if it was on twice a day rather than all day as your current system is that'll go a long way to explaining the discrepancy in gas usage from your old place.

Once you've got to grips with the hall stat set it at 18 to begin with and set your rad stats as you require them not what you think they should be. As you admitted you were boiling with TRV set on max therefore try a lower setting.

With no room stat the temperature is set by the boiler, if it was on twice a day rather than all day as your current system is that'll go a long way to explaining the discrepancy in gas usage from your old place.

Once you've got to grips with the hall stat set it at 18 to begin with and set your rad stats as you require them not what you think they should be. As you admitted you were boiling with TRV set on max therefore try a lower setting.

Yes I could only set it to warm house up in the morning and evening and just used it whenever I wanted in between and after those time mate. I have used 277 units if I am correct today then 1706 to 1709?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Is it really cheaper for me to have central heating on all day than a gas fire? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock