Discuss Installing New Rads - Supply Pipes Slightly Different Positions In Concrete Floor in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello to all. After a bit of advice about fitting new metric rads in place of old, imperial sized ones. The supply pipes to rad valves in my bungalow come up from concrete floor, so can't move pipe positions.

Some of the new rads are either slightly longer or shorter than old rads and are also slightly different in distance from wall. I need to cut the supply pipes low to floor and install short bits of new pipe with small offsets in them.

Trouble is, because the new bits of pipe with offsets are quite short, the two bends in them for the offsets will be close together. I can't do them in my pipe bender, as when I want to put the second bend in, it's too close to the first bend and fouls the former and guide, etc.

What do plumbers normally do in this situation. Will I be able to do small offsets like this with an internal spring, or won't I get the leverage to bend the pipe?

Any advice welcome, as I'm cacking myself in case I balls this up as the pipes are set in concrete. I have visions of me digging up floors.

Thought 5 " was still 125mm? Or is it a short 5" 122mm?

Bend on a 500mm bit of tube then cut down, no use a pipe bender or a real plumber.

Why don't you tell us what the centre to centre the pipes are coming out of the floor are and then the centre to centre of the new radiator and then the experts can tell you if it is possible, bearing in mind you may need to fit the new rads slightly higher than the old ones, to take up the offsets, personally I would re-pipe I hate copper pipe in concerete.

Lazy, unprofessional looking plumbing, but very true! :smile:

Actually, if the rad valves are the 15mm tail type & heads fitted horizontally, then to angle the valves will not make the heads stick out past the rad, I guess.

i was thinking of having valve on the pipe and have smaller rad so you can bend the pipe a bit to achieve desired offset, haven't done this myself

Why don't you tell us what the centre to centre the pipes are coming out of the floor are and then the centre to centre of the new radiator and then the experts can tell you if it is possible,

Good idea. Example -

Old bedroom rad is 1270mm long, new one will have to be 1300mm long. so, will need a 15mm offset each end, and will also need to add more to the offset because old rad is single panel with no fins -new rad is double panel plus type rad.

So because rad is slightly longer and the tappings for rad valves will also stand further off of wall, will need an offset each end of around 20 to 25mm.

1) Can you achieve such a small offset on a 15mm pipe with benders?

2) With such a small offset needed, should I be pulling 45 deg bends for the offset on bender, or bigger/smaller angles?

Thanks for any help. Benders and practice piece of pipe standing by.

Shouldn't be any problem with those sets, practice on a bit of scrap pipe first. I would try about 30 degrees first,45 may be a bit tight

Last edited:
Do we need to draw it... M97677_1_A6 5040.jpg Street ... M&F obtuse, what the hell, might be slighty over 15 mm each end

Last edited by a moderator:
I would try about 30 degrees first,45 may be a bit tight

Tried a 20mm offset with a 45 degree angle. Trouble was, after putting the mark on pipe and going for the second bend - lining the mark I made up with edge of former wasn't possible because the first bend fouled the bender's pipe keep/latch/retainer.

When I did it with 30 degree bend - no problem. So, looks like a 30 degree bend is best for a very small offset.

Thanks to all for your advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Installing New Rads - Supply Pipes Slightly Different Positions In Concrete Floor in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back