Search the forum,

Discuss 'Initial check' for boiler insurance in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MakeDo93

I am looking into getting my boiler insured, as winter is approaching and it's an old unit (late 80's). They said after I sign up they will come and do an initial check of the boiler, I understand why, but wanted to know what they will check, as I'm afraid they will try to fob me off and condemn the boiler because of its age. it was serviced and had a pilot sensor replaced 2 years ago, the guy said although it seemed in healthy working order, most companies wouldn't touch it.

Any advice is appreciated

If your going/willing to pay for insurance why not get a new boiler that will be
more efficient save you money on your gas bill and you won't have to worry about
It breaking down over winter

Last edited:
Which companies have you asked?/

Wouldn't have thought many would want to insure it as most likely some parts are redundant now anyway

After you sign up they will come and check it? Are they taking your money first? I'd be amazed if they cover your boiler at that age. It will be a high risk to them as it's more likely to go wrong. Why are you taking out the cover now at this late stage? Have you had issues lately?

I haven't asked any yet, I got an online quote from Scottish power, they just asked for the boiler make (potterton) and asked if it was in good working order, and it was accepted.

No major issues no, I was just thinking of getting insurance as a precaution.

I wanted insurance as peace of mind, as 20 years with it, the boiler has only had one fault. I have had a quote from a local engineer who said replacing the system would cost around the £9000 mark :furious3:. That's why I would rather the £6.50 insurance.

If you go with my company and you get me surveying it, I'm firm but fair.
Plenty of people try it on but are unreasonable with their expectations.

i wouldnt bother just put the money away each month and next time it breaks down get a new one fitted with a long warranty some bouilers now come with ten years warranty
all of these schemes have a million get out clauses one of which will be parts availability at the end of the day its a savings scheme that doesnt pay interest

^^^^^^ As above ^^^^^^ Put your money towards a new boiler mate ;-)

They want to make sure its in working in order before they insure it, installed to a fair standard and not about to fall off the wall. Put your money in a savings account and pay a local engineer when it goes wrong

Sturdy boiler but they will push a new on efficiency and parts being obsolete

prehaps you should have got a few quotes for comparison, seriously..............

Potterton kingfisher II

They stopped making those in either '93 or '97 depending on the model.

The problem with insurance is the company have to be able to fulfill their terms and taking on boilers from the late 80's isn't the best idea. I work for one of these big firms and I'd decline the insurance, but then you might get a numpty who will just say aye and not care. Once you are accepted you are accepted.

Get a few quotes, £9k must have been the whole system and a decent hot water tank.

I'd be surprised if you didn't shave a 1/3rd off your gas bill especially if you have the old open flue version.

They stopped making those in either '93 or '97 depending on the model.

The problem with insurance is the company have to be able to fulfill their terms and taking on boilers from the late 80's isn't the best idea. I work for one of these big firms and I'd decline the insurance, but then you might get a numpty who will just say aye and not care. Once you are accepted you are accepted.

Get a few quotes, £9k must have been the whole system and a decent hot water tank.

I'd be surprised if you didn't shave a 1/3rd off your gas bill especially if you have the old open flue version.

I think he said it would be for boiler and new rads, or to get a new boiler and flush the current system instead of replacing rads

I think he said it would be for boiler and new rads, or to get a new boiler and flush the current system instead of replacing rads

Still sounds expensive with the rads, unless you have about 20!

I notice you said scottish power, unless you live in the cities be careful of coverage. Some of these companies think anything past Aberdeen is the moon......a bit like couriers lol!

Still sounds expensive with the rads, unless you have about 20!

I notice you said scottish power, unless you live in the cities be careful of coverage. Some of these companies think anything past Aberdeen is the moon......a bit like couriers lol!

I live in England lol

get a quote for boiler change from 3 or more companies, go for boiler with 7 year warranty.

compare this price + the cost of the new boilers annual service to the yearly cost of the insurance. you may find they come out close over the seven years warranty period and consider for 7 years you will have lower fuel bills with the new boiler also.

I am looking into getting my boiler insured, as winter is approaching and it's an old unit (late 80's). They said after I sign up they will come and do an initial check of the boiler, I understand why, but wanted to know what they will check, as I'm afraid they will try to fob me off and condemn the boiler because of its age. it was serviced and had a pilot sensor replaced 2 years ago, the guy said although it seemed in healthy working order, most companies wouldn't touch it.

Any advice is appreciated [emoji4]

Don't waste your money. When it breaks down they will claim un economic to repair. So u will have been paying £25 PCM for.... A sticker on your boiler. Save the money and pay a real engineer to fix it.

One customer had a policy. His boiler broke down. This is what they quoted to replace like for
b1b2928006f050d016bc12a59ce52d6e.jpg

Fitted very same boiler with 8 years parts and labour for a lowly £2670

nice of BG to quote to give 1 years free homecare on a boiler that has a 5 year warranty.

Don't waste your money. When it breaks down they will claim un economic to repair. So u will have been paying £25 PCM for.... A sticker on your boiler. Save the money and pay a real engineer to fix it.

One customer had a policy. His boiler broke down. This is what they quoted to replace like for
b1b2928006f050d016bc12a59ce52d6e.jpg

Fitted very same boiler with 8 years parts and labour for a lowly £2670

I'll bear that in mind, thank you.

This is what'l probably happen if they do take it on.

You'll pay every month until it breaks down, maybe in a year or two.

Chances are that most of the parts are obsolete, so when they come to fix it, they'll say they can't get parts any more so can't fix it. Which means you've just paid all them payments for nothing.

I'd save the money yourself and get someone to look at it, if it does go down, or replace.

£9000 is definitely on the high side, maybe you should get some more quotes.

They probably won't take it on. Most of them have an age limit. Even if they do it will be on a limited scale ie they won't cover certain bits.

Without knowing what's been quoted for and looking at the job it is hard to say if £9000 is expensive or not. How big is your house?

As has been said get another few quotes in then you will get an idea. Post up on the I'm looking for a plumber / gas engineer section and someone on here might be able to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to 'Initial check' for boiler insurance in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock