Search the forum,

Discuss How should I efficiently operate my underfloor heating? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

N

NJlookingforhelp

We have a weird 'dual' system in our 2 floor house we just rented out - meaning that the ground floor has an underfloor system and the top floor has a classic radiator system. Both are hooked up to the gas boiler (as well as the hot water tank/cylinder).
I've never had underfloor heating before, so I would be grateful for efficiency tips(We mostly WFH and are downstairs where the underfloor heating is):

Current Schedule: https://*********/a/j5Ej9OV
  • We currently turn on the heating at 6am when we wake up and it takes ~3h to get it to 19.5 degrees to which its set too, it then kicks in around 2pm for 30min and around 6pm for another 1h before we turn it off at ~10pm.
  • The Hot water schedule also starts at 6am and we have another scheduled slot in the evening, but it never kicks in as it gets enough hot water from the heating.
  • Upstairs also turns on at 6am for 30min and at 8pm for another 30min

Questions:
  • Is the current schedule even efficient?
  • As the underfloor is off for the whole night, the system goes fully cold and it takes forever to heat back up, should we still have it on, but set to 18 instead of 19.5 - would that make it more efficient over night?
  • As it's all hooked up to the same boiler (it has an Economy setting so it does use less gas when not needed), should I instead time the whole system to run together instead of turning on periodically?
Thanks for the help!

It's the perennial central heating question and the answer is it really depends.

I'd probably set the UFH to a lower set back temperature as you suggest rather than turn it off completely but the only way to definitely know what's most efficient for you is to measure the gas usage between the two timings/programs on similarly cold evenings.

Again depends on the behaviours of your household but if everybody is out the door by 9.00 am or earlier no point the UFH finally getting up to temp by that time. If you're going to turn it off overnight I'd just make sure it's on earlier so it's warm enough when you're all getting up to fully benefit.

If it takes ages to heat up I’m guessing due to not much slab insulation I would run it 24/7 and use your temps eg 20-21 when your home and 16-18 depends on your personal preference when your sleeping / away

The e setting is normally a temp as you have a cylinder might be worth measuring the hottest pipe out the boiler after an hour etc this wants to be around 65dc

Reply to How should I efficiently operate my underfloor heating? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

IS IT POSSIBLE TO ADJUST THIS MIXER UNIT? WE HAVE TO HAVE IT TURNED ALMOST FULLY ANTI CLOCKWISE TO GET HOT WATEROUT. THE FRONT PLATE WITH MIRA ON IT PRISES OFF AND INSIDE THERE ARE SOME PLASTIC BITS AND A SMALL CROSS-HEAD SCREW IN THE MIDDLE. THANKS
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock