Search the forum,

Discuss How much training necessary before being able to work? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kerry_Dee

Sorry if this is a basic question but I'm about to start level 1 plumbing. I intend to do level 2 and level 3 after that. Am I right in assuming after level 3 i can start to look for work?

Ideally you should look for work right now, so that your practical, hands-on skill and experience grows alongside the theory you'll learn at college. Have you tried looking for an apprenticeship?

A good bet would be to get on with a firm so you can shadow somebody.

Ideally you should look for work right now, so that your practical, hands-on skill and experience grows alongside the theory you'll learn at college. Have you tried looking for an apprenticeship?

Would I even know what to do or be of any help? I have a firm that are probably going to allow me to shadow

Are you talking NVQ Kerry?

No a diploma

A good bet would be to get on with a firm so you can shadow somebody.

I have almost got this lined up

Are diplomas not a good way to get into the biz as opposed to apprenticeships?

Would I even know what to do or be of any help? I have a firm that are probably going to allow me to shadow

Initially you'll be useful as an extra pair of hands to fetch and carry, sweep up, hold things. You'll learn far more than you realise just by watching and listening. You'll be asked to do small jobs and so your knowledge will increase, along with your usefulness..

I would aim for getting on with the firm first, gain experience with then and start to do jobs outside of that within your current capabilities.

Are diplomas not a good way to get into the biz as opposed to apprenticeships?

Everybody prefers hands-on experience to bits of paper. If you can go the apprentice route, do so, it's much better. However not everyone can - circumstances vary, so the next best thing is to shadow, help out, even if it's unpaid, until you are useful enough to be worth a wage.

That's true what all ppl said in previous threads.

Do not be foolish and just take some private jobs and end up doing the same mistake as I did: thinking you are a plumber now because you know how to solder it's far more than that.

As mentioned before it's very important just to listen and copying there steps and if you've got any question do not feel ashamed to ask because everybody started somewhere.

Do not feel ashamed to do mistakes that's how you learn to gain experience is by doing mistakes. But you can avoid a lot of trouble just by watching and learning.
Everybody is in non stop learning progress as you cannot know everything.

You cannot buy experience so you best off to join a company who is willing to give there knowledge further. Do not take things for granted and be always focused so you will be a good engineer one day.

An apprenticeship is definitely best.

However, not everyone can go that way.

If you have to work whilst you train, and you can't get genuine plumbing work, try labouring for a demolition contractor. You would be amazed how much you learn about buildings when you are knocking them down, and how useful it can be in the future to know what's likely to be in the fabric of a particular type of building.

If it helps, by the end of the first year of their NVQ 2 the lads that work with me will be able to undertake small jobs like tap replacements, toilet repairs etc on their own. By the end of their second year they should be in the position where they can undertake full day jobs like changing an indirect hot water cylinder in a tricky airing cupboard on their own.

By the end of their NVQ 2 my aim is to have the lads in their own vans doing work for me. After a couple of years more experience I will get them on their NVQ 3. You can go straight from one to the other but in my opinion a lot of development happens in years 3 and 4 which makes the NVQ 3 easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to How much training necessary before being able to work? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, my name is Michael and I am 18. I have my level 2 and 3 qualifications in plumbing and I also have a full driving licence I cant find an apprenticeship. I'm based near Tadcaster, North Yorkshire (between Leeds and York). Does anyone know anybody that might want to take me on as an...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am Aiden longster and I am looking for some plumbing work. I have just completed my level 2 diploma and either looking for a level 3 apprenticeship or some work
Replies
Views
Hi, we've had our central heating system put back into the ground after all the pipework being in the attic. I don't know anything about plumbing so I paid up when the job was finished (£1000) my husband and father in law came home and were not happy with the pipework! The pipes are way above...
Replies
Views
Hi there, I'm sniffing around what to expect of getting a job in plumbing. My job makes me redundant at the end of September. The whole warehouse moves to the Midlands from Bridgewater. Meanwhile I'm doing my NVQ level 2 in plumbing. The goal of the course is Renewable Energy Engineer. I'll...
Replies
Views
Hello. This is my first ever post asking for help. I had a bathroom renovation done early this year which I did myself. I wanted to have a low level shower tray sitting flush to the ground and was not able to get access to the main vented stack as it's boxed in from the inside of the house and...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock