Search the forum,

Discuss Is this pipework acceptable??? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi, we've had our central heating system put back into the ground after all the pipework being in the attic. I don't know anything about plumbing so I paid up when the job was finished (£1000) my husband and father in law came home and were not happy with the pipework! The pipes are way above ground level and one is acting as a door stop!

What is everyones opinion?

Another plumber has since been in and put it right at the cost of £474, The first plumber was not willing to put it right, so I am thinking about small claims court to get the £474 spent to put it right back. Any advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 20230726_193936.jpg
    20230726_193936.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 36
  • 20230726_193846.jpg
    20230726_193846.jpg
    344.6 KB · Views: 34
  • 20230726_193901.jpg
    20230726_193901.jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 34
  • 20230726_194027.jpg
    20230726_194027.jpg
    250.3 KB · Views: 33
  • 20230726_194021.jpg
    20230726_194021.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 34
Any pictures of the new pipework?

It’s one of them did you explain what you wanted/expected

Looks Rubbish.

Your best bet is to document a timeline of events and communications with the other plumber to take to court if you go that route.

You should give the original plumber a chance to put the work right. I do hope you did that and can prove that before taking him to court. The next step is proving that the work needed re-doing. In my opinion it does but again that may be harder to prove.

You may be better off learning a lesson and cutting your losses at £400 than to waste a ton of time and money on something you may end up losing

It’s one of them did you explain what you wanted/expected
I explained that we wanted the pipework put back into the floor so that we could get rid of the pipework on show and make everything neater. I didn't go into any more detail but I definitely didn't expect pipework to be on show on top of the floor or for the door to hit the pipework when it was opened. The new plumber said the work was "pants" but wanted to see other peoples thoughts.

Looks Rubbish.

Your best bet is to document a timeline of events and communications with the other plumber to take to court if you go that route.

You should give the original plumber a chance to put the work right. I do hope you did that and can prove that before taking him to court. The next step is proving that the work needed re-doing. In my opinion it does but again that may be harder to prove.

You may be better off learning a lesson and cutting your losses at £400 than to waste a ton of time and money on something you may end up losing
Thanks for your reply. There was a discussion on the last day he was here where he was told we were not happy with the pipework and he refused to put it rightand almost walked out before getting our system running again, I had to ask him nicely to finish the job. I stupidly paid him the full amount as I was on my own at home with my 2 toddlers and didn't know what to do. Would the fact that the door hit the pipework prove it needed re-doing?

Looks Rubbish.

He also took 18 lengths of 3M copper pipe which were only 4 years old, worth a bit of money! We told him we wanted to keep them for a project but on the last day he stormed out when he was done and took them all!

He also took 18 lengths of 3M copper pipe which were only 4 years old, worth a bit of money! We told him we wanted to keep them for a project but on the last day he stormed out when he was done and took them all!

that copper is worth about £60 as scrap and no good to be used anywhere. I have no idea on what your agreement was with him over that but I write on my quotes to get rid of scrap and there would be an additional charge if you wanted to keep it.

that copper is worth about £60 as scrap and no good to be used anywhere. I have no idea on what your agreement was with him over that but I write on my quotes to get rid of scrap and there would be an additional charge if you wanted to keep it.
Scrap nd bits I understand but 18 lengths of 3M copper unpainted pipe that looked like new and easily reusable? And I did state that I wanted to keep it to which he agreed. He was just annoyed on the last day and decided to take it.

I explained that we wanted the pipework put back into the floor so that we could get rid of the pipework on show and make everything neater. I didn't go into any more detail but I definitely didn't expect pipework to be on show on top of the floor or for the door to hit the pipework when it was opened. The new plumber said the work was "pants" but wanted to see other peoples thoughts.

Yep file with the small claims you’ve done all you can

If it’s from central heating- it should only be used for that if reused, not for hot/cold water.
But yes, that’s best part of £200 to buy new if you had a need for it.

What was the agreement with the plumber initially?

Why would he take the left over copper lengths, technically stealing, from you.

If he took it without your permission, have him charged, or threaten him with charges until he brings them back or replaces them.

Reply to Is this pipework acceptable??? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my toilet a good few times nothing is going to the sewer so don't know is there a blockage or what way it works many thanks and advice would be grateful
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock