Discuss How much training necessary before being able to work? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kerry_Dee

Sorry if this is a basic question but I'm about to start level 1 plumbing. I intend to do level 2 and level 3 after that. Am I right in assuming after level 3 i can start to look for work?

Ideally you should look for work right now, so that your practical, hands-on skill and experience grows alongside the theory you'll learn at college. Have you tried looking for an apprenticeship?

A good bet would be to get on with a firm so you can shadow somebody.

Ideally you should look for work right now, so that your practical, hands-on skill and experience grows alongside the theory you'll learn at college. Have you tried looking for an apprenticeship?

Would I even know what to do or be of any help? I have a firm that are probably going to allow me to shadow

Are you talking NVQ Kerry?

No a diploma

A good bet would be to get on with a firm so you can shadow somebody.

I have almost got this lined up

Are diplomas not a good way to get into the biz as opposed to apprenticeships?

Would I even know what to do or be of any help? I have a firm that are probably going to allow me to shadow

Initially you'll be useful as an extra pair of hands to fetch and carry, sweep up, hold things. You'll learn far more than you realise just by watching and listening. You'll be asked to do small jobs and so your knowledge will increase, along with your usefulness..

I would aim for getting on with the firm first, gain experience with then and start to do jobs outside of that within your current capabilities.

Are diplomas not a good way to get into the biz as opposed to apprenticeships?

Everybody prefers hands-on experience to bits of paper. If you can go the apprentice route, do so, it's much better. However not everyone can - circumstances vary, so the next best thing is to shadow, help out, even if it's unpaid, until you are useful enough to be worth a wage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to How much training necessary before being able to work? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock