Discuss How do you hang a radiator on a crumbly/lath plaster wall? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stanios

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi everyone, I am confronted with crumbly wall, the sort that doesnt hold rawl plugs in. Managed to hang all but one rad and made a right mess of the wall on the last 1. Now can stick my finger in the wall. Its a thick wall, going to the job tomorrow and thinking of trying again by moving the bracket.

Is there a magic plug I can use for these kind of walls? I use brown uno rawlplug + 2" 10screw which in all other scenarious gives an outstanding fixing.

This might get me shot down in flames however ...........
If you can find solid brick then maybe a chemical fixing rawl plug with studding and a nut?

For lath and plaster.
Find the timber studs and put batterns across, then fix the rad brackets to batterns.
Or,
Make a hole in the lath where the brackets will be and slip a piece of 2" x 1" inside to fix to.
Or
Butterfly fixings, maybe 4 per bracket.

For brick.

Dovetail fixing, put screws /plugs in at an angle, 2 one side 2 the other.

Last edited:
Will chemical plug set in a dusty crumbly wall?
Not really getting what dovetail is showhead

You want the toggle fixings that spring out behind the lathe and plaster, 3 or 4 per bracket. Add a bit of adhesive to the brackets as well. Job done.

If wall is that bad Batten is best bet, I tend to use, the expanding fixings that you pull up with a fixing gun drill through lath and use a longer fixing never had any problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to How do you hang a radiator on a crumbly/lath plaster wall? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I need to hang a radiator (160cm wide, 50cm high, total weight around 35kg) via two brackets to a plasterboard wall. The wall is external, so that...
Replies
Views
I go to loads of radiators at work that have fallen off the wall due to the installing thinking it is ok to install a 1100 x 500 double panel...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock