Search the forum,

Discuss Hints, tips & secrets of plumbing - No Banter please! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
re: Hints, tips & secrets of plumbing - No Banter please!

If you're a merchant and don't know the customer, remember your customer service training, and pretend you can't see them

Fixed yours as well AP! :)

Nothing like removing a section when a richard rushes past your ear.

haha i did this once thinking the teeth would bite in and had never known any different! i was very wrong. compression fittings or de-chromed and soldered afterwards! apparently there is a tool that cuts a lip down to the copper for tectite fittings and or speedfit etc. I have never seen or used one so does anyone know of this tool? after my little mishap i didn't dare try again although i have been told it is possible but with a certain tool?!?!?!?

Got a push button syphon where someone has cut the actuating rods short? A stainless steel self tapper in the bottom of the rod makes an adjustable extension to the rod.
brilliant idea i'm gonna use that one if i ever come across this prob again which im sure i will lol

Yes, I hear this tool exists. Wouldn't trust pushfit on chrome ever though!

When replacing a soil stack in the Liverpool School Of Tropical Medicine remember to turn that 15mm isolation valve in the snake room back on which was discharging into the stack - it's part of some weird humidity control system which keeps the snakes alive which in turn are essential to the anti-venom research.

Yup, I almost killed all the snakes because I forgot I'd turned it off.

Last edited:

here here how many times has this been the after thought... gutted and thirsty lol

How many times have you took off a sink trap and asked someone to tip it down the sink while you're still under it?

Me - 3 times!

Remember to put the pipe you just cut out with the hole in it far away from you.
I was replacing the pipe after it had been screwed through and thought 'oh, look at that. This piece fits nicely. Lucky me.'
Recommissioned the system and flooded the downstairs flat.

yeah i got one , its just like a scoreing tool, you push the pipe in hold the nail type bit against the pipe ....job done,
i got it off a rep at a trade show with PTS, just asked him for the set ab
nd he gave me it at the end

Carry baby wipes. Excellent for getting silicone off your fingers.

Put a NO SMOKING sticker in your van in case you get pulled over by the council 'tards.

Once you have eliminated all the obvious whatever is left, no matter how unlikely is probably the answer.

If you've drained down always change the washer on the DOC.
It's bound to drip at four o'clock on Friday!

Flexi pan cons.... You can cut them down. Ping the end off cut it down and push/smash the end back on. Hard work but is possible. No sealant needed.

If making up a screen with the soft headed screws dip the tip in some silicone grease makes it easier to get em in and less chance of rounding the heads out before they are tight

If making up a screen with the soft headed screws dip the tip in some silicone grease makes it easier to get em in and less chance of rounding the heads out before they are tight

Top banana! Hate those little beggers!!

dont buy rothernberg strips you can get a whole roll of this mesh from toolstation for a few quid and cut it up

Always remember to leave the cistern full when emptying a cst...........saves the red face when the owner uses the dunny after you dumped a richard...........doesnt smell like fresh cut grass either.

if your working on site,and someone upsets you,get into there motor,and set a smoke bomb off.
tell them there motor is on fire.
works a treat.

Dont ask an apprentice with an iphone addiction to keep an eye on the hose whilst draining down.

save all the old radiator bleed pips to replace rounded ones.

an auto airvent body and bent F/I make a good inhibiter funnel for compact style rads.

when changing a diverter valve on a vaillant turbomax, after draining the primarys whilst talking to the customer..dont forget to switch off the main cold feed before removing the diverter valve..lol

when changing a diverter valve on a vaillant turbomax, after draining the primarys whilst talking to the customer..dont forget to switch off the main cold feed before removing the diverter valve..lol

weve all been there!!!

If trying to take apart a seized brass fitting, heat it with blow lamp then dunk in cold water - the expansion and sudden retraction will usually free up the seizure.

Opps is daisy

If you are a scrap peasant like me, once you've stripped the insulation off a HW cylinder (btw Im about to try a wire saw for this purpose) - use an angle grinder and thin cutting disc to cut the welded joints off then cut the coil out and tada - you have twice the value in bright and a little bit of brazings..instead of the regular cylinder price.

Once you have eliminated all the obvious whatever is left, no matter how unlikely is probably the answer.
Nice tip Spock lol just waiting for its only logical!

Last edited by a moderator:

so what do you get for a cylinder bunker

so what do you get for a cylinder bunker
Depends on size but often its about £25 for one with insulation, maybe £45 with no insulation but youd expect about £55 for the same size if cut up. I cut all my copper up anyway to separate bright from brazings, so grinder already out and turning. I do this on a sunny sunday afternoon and strangely enjoy it...sad eh!

Depends on size but often its about £25 for one with insulation, maybe £45 with no insulation but youd expect about £55 for the same size if cut up. I cut all my copper up anyway to separate bright from brazings, so grinder already out and turning. I do this on a sunny sunday afternoon and strangely enjoy it...sad eh!

I do exactly that. It is strangely satisfying.

i would find a better scrappy! ask around about the prices paid. my scrappy only pays an extra 10p per kg for 'bright' than he does for mixed brazed imo it is not worth the faff

£3.9 per kilo here for mix copper and some brass with it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Hints, tips & secrets of plumbing - No Banter please! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't rip me off? An office guy recommended me to apply for government rebates and get it installed through timetosave.com.au. How reliable is this...
Replies
Views
B
Hi, I've followed this excellent forum for several years but have never posted, so decided I'd better give some details. My status is the upper end of DIY and I've a couple of house renovations under my belt (my own homes) I am retired but do volunteer handyman jobs for the elderly. Not...
Replies
Views
B
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and pebbles!) We saw that the pipe that takes water down the gutter was visibly full to the top. He said he will return with a coil to push through...
Replies
Views
I have an ideal vogue max S18 boiler and I’m considering fitting auto balancing TRVs, my question relates to the boilers pump. I see a boiler pump menu for either 70% or 100%, so, is the pump set at either one of two fixed speed percentages or does the pump actually vary speed, (modulate)...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock