Search the forum,

Discuss Help with potterton combi boiler bangs when cooling down in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

My boiler constantly bangs after its been shutdown for an hour or so..sometimes it's 5 or 6 getting shallower other times it's a few more 10 to 12.Its always after I've Ean the hot water on my potterton combi boiler. I live in uk and would love some help with this annoying issue.
Thanks.. Jon

Install a small expansion vessel on the mains supply to the boiler and close to it, some boiler manufacturers insist on this if they have preheat.

You said its always after DHW usage only?, you might narrow down the reason by switching off the boiler immediately after turning off the HW tap, then reopen the hot tap and run (cold) water through it for a few minutes then turn it off and see does the banging reoccur.
You may have a blocked plate heat exchanger.

Last edited:
You said its always after DHW usage only?, you might narrow down the reason by switching off the boiler immediately after turning off the HW tap, then reopen the hot tap and run (cold) water through it for a few minutes then turn it off and see does the banging reoccur.
You may have a blocked plate heat exchanger.
Sorry been away.Ran hot for a while then boiler off with hot tap running until cold plus a bit more. No banging. The system is still banging like I say after 90mins of running hot..very strange any more suggestions 🙏

Sorry been away.Ran hot for a while then boiler off with hot tap running until cold plus a bit more. No banging. The system is still banging like I say after 90mins of running hot..very strange any more suggestions 🙏

When you say no banging after running the water cold, did it still bang ~ 90 mins later or was DHW used again before this time had elapsed and then did its banging?
If it didn't bang after running the cold water through it then maybe worth installing a small E.vessel on the cold feed just before the boiler.

Gas valve not shutting off completely?

Some manufacturers claim this as: Parasitic Gas Valve.

Gas valve continues to pass gas when appliance should be shut down, causing flame to continue.
The boiler thinks the gas valve is shut, but the burner keeps going because their is gas available.

See if you can see if the burner is still alight when you turn the hot water tap off

No it still does it randomly but mostly when boiler is off/cooling down... just putting up with it
Oh that's a shame. Some of our other members might have a few ideas. Nothing worse than random noises!

Reply to Help with potterton combi boiler bangs when cooling down in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have an ideal vogue max S18 boiler and I’m considering fitting auto balancing TRVs, my question relates to the boilers pump. I see a boiler pump menu for either 70% or 100%, so, is the pump set at either one of two fixed speed percentages or does the pump actually vary speed, (modulate)...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock