Discuss Help with potterton combi boiler bangs when cooling down in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

My boiler constantly bangs after its been shutdown for an hour or so..sometimes it's 5 or 6 getting shallower other times it's a few more 10 to 12.Its always after I've Ean the hot water on my potterton combi boiler. I live in uk and would love some help with this annoying issue.
Thanks.. Jon

Install a small expansion vessel on the mains supply to the boiler and close to it, some boiler manufacturers insist on this if they have preheat.

You said its always after DHW usage only?, you might narrow down the reason by switching off the boiler immediately after turning off the HW tap, then reopen the hot tap and run (cold) water through it for a few minutes then turn it off and see does the banging reoccur.
You may have a blocked plate heat exchanger.

Last edited:
You said its always after DHW usage only?, you might narrow down the reason by switching off the boiler immediately after turning off the HW tap, then reopen the hot tap and run (cold) water through it for a few minutes then turn it off and see does the banging reoccur.
You may have a blocked plate heat exchanger.
Sorry been away.Ran hot for a while then boiler off with hot tap running until cold plus a bit more. No banging. The system is still banging like I say after 90mins of running hot..very strange any more suggestions 🙏

Sorry been away.Ran hot for a while then boiler off with hot tap running until cold plus a bit more. No banging. The system is still banging like I say after 90mins of running hot..very strange any more suggestions 🙏

When you say no banging after running the water cold, did it still bang ~ 90 mins later or was DHW used again before this time had elapsed and then did its banging?
If it didn't bang after running the cold water through it then maybe worth installing a small E.vessel on the cold feed just before the boiler.

Reply to Help with potterton combi boiler bangs when cooling down in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I posted in summer as HW system banged when cooing down it is now even worse once CH is cooing down but it's common between both systems any ideas...
Replies
Views
Desperate for some help! Be a life saver of someone can help as suffer from a high intolerance to noise. Moved into new house 1940s (copper...
Replies
Views
R
Hi, The outlet of all my radiators are at 55°C, but the boiler keep showing the Return Temperature is 60°C (and keep raising at 1°C/min rate)...
Replies
Views
Renato
R
H
Hi! If anyone is able to give any advice it's hugely appreciated! I'm in the UK if that makes a difference. I have a condensing combi boiler...
Replies
Views
Hi All! I hope you can give me some advise. I had combi boiler (Viessman vitodens 100-w 30kW) installed about half year ago. Recently I start...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock