Discuss Help with a washing machine hose please! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I've piped up loads of these b*ggers but this one's got me beat! I've replaced a washing machine hose for a customer but on the 3/4 inch mains feed side the thing's leaking from the joint where the plastic nut meets the pipe. It's the tiniest of leaks but a leak's a leak. The washer looks absolutely fine so I'm wondering if I've missed something obvious. Any helpful suggestions would be most gratefully received! Happy plumbing to you all.

Turn washer around, replace with another washer or replace whole hose.

When I started I spent ages trying to sort out a small thing like this as I preferred to repair than replace. Ended up hardly making any money so now I'll assess quickly whether it's worth trying a repair or not.

In many cases, a customer has tried repairing and because it's not worked for them probably means it won't work for you either.

Same goes for cheap, dripping taps:

Change washer. 1/2 hour and done and paid. Phone call 2-3 weeks later because it's started dripping again. Change washer, 20 minutes, no payment but warning if it goes again then new taps are in order. 2-3 weeks later another call. "How much to change them?" ("I didn't charge you for the last visit, did I?") "Oh, okay, fair enough." One hour, done and paid.

Two hours for that initial pesky tap. Then there's the travel, ordering new taps (trip to merchant or a good 1/2 hour spent on the internet), etc, etc. 1/2 a day altogether and you've earned two call outs, maximum.

Which brings me back to this washing machine hose. 10 minutes to fiddle with washer and/or replace. Then (if you don't have one in the van) off to purchase a new hose and attach it. Hopefully all done and dusted within an hour.

Unfortunately everything is made so cheaply and not very well nowadays so it's usually cheaper to spend the money on a replacement than on the labour to try and fix it.

I enoy your philosophising on business matters DKIA and have adpoted mindsets based on it. Long may you continue to ruminate.

Sounds to me though like it was a new hose he put on.

Mostly likely cause is there is muck in the thread of the valve from where the old one sat. It can make it feel like it's fully tight on when actually it's still got a few turns to go. It's astounding how tight it can feel infact. I've also had it when trying to cap them off. Sometimes your best options is all new. New valve, new hose.

washing machines are generally water tight when hand tight, if rubber washer was fine and no signs of damage on nut i would be looking at manufacturing fault.

you didnt accidentally cross thread it did you ? this can make it leak.

I'd replace the hose with a new one. They only cost a few pounds and renewing it can save you many pounds. If all else fails and you cannot remove or replace the valve, blank it off and (even though I don't like these) use a self cutting valve with a 3/4" thread for a washing machine hose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Help with a washing machine hose please! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We have a utility room with a washing machine but no sink. Wife wants sink. There is room to fit one and the waste will connect to wahing machine...
Replies
Views
B
Hi there, Have bought an old house and am having the old lead water mains pipe replaced and a new stopcock location/piping installed after...
Replies
Views
Help please my washing machine stopped working last night, so I've getting a new one today and it's doing the exact same thing I've looked through...
Replies
Views
I'm moving to a new flat and in the meantime I've acquired a washing machine which smells rough. I thought it might be possible to hook it up to...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I'm new here so apologies firstly if this is posted in the wrong area, but I am after some advice please. I'm an extremely DIY novice...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock