Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Height of an Air Admittance Valve in a bathroom in the Fittings & Pipes area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Paul Cockhill

Paul Cockhill Member

Hi Everyone

I am fitting an air admittance valve to a stack pipe in a bathroom, see pictures. A separate washbasin waste pipe and bath waste pipe are also connecting to the soil pipe.

I have fitted an anti syphon trap to the washbasin and a HepVo to the bath

My question is
    Is there a minimum height the AAV has to be in the bathroom?

My clients want it as low as possible and boxed in. I know once it is boxed in there will have to be an air grill

Any advice greatly appreciated

Best wishes

Paul

20181017_161458.jpg

20181017_161452.jpg

2. JVTrades

JVTrades New Member

I think you’ll find that technically it needs to be at least 600mm above the highest spill over point which is normally the basin. With air admittance on other appliances though it will probably be fine although there are other details about the property and any other facilities that need to be known to be sure

3. bogrodder

bogrodder GSR

It has to be above the highest level of appliances in bathroom.. usually the basin. I always put mine a metre off the floor.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. king of pipes

king of pipes Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Needs to be above the basin height . Kop

5. chris watkins

chris watkins Plumber

Why ?
    If it blocks the water will overspill the Pan not the basin.

6. chris watkins

chris watkins Plumber

I just don't understand where all this requirement for costly waterless & anti-vac traps is coming from? :(
    If this stub is on the ground floor it doesn't need the Durgo.

7. YorkshireDave

YorkshireDave Plumber Top Contributor!!

TBH Chris it's not for us to decide really. The OP had had BCO out so what they say goes. We know they may not know what they are about, but we can't argue as we're not there.

On a personal level I'd not fit one - if the lengths are as they appear!

8. king of pipes

king of pipes Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Building regs Chris - my interpretation is if you have a sewerage back up you may not notice a boxed low fitted air addmitance valve leaking but a overspill from the toilet or basin will show immediately the valves should be visable and removable for maintenance above the spill over level for rodding access if its needed whether we agree or not we should all be fitting to the regulations . Cheers kop

• Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
  9. Paul Cockhill

Paul Cockhill Member

Hi Everyone
    Many thanks for your reply. The bathroom is on the first floor and as I mentioned it has an anti syphon trap on the washbasin trap and an Hepvo to the bath

10. Paul Cockhill

Paul Cockhill Member

Thanks for your reply. Does it matter that it is on the first floor and the bath, washbasin and WC are the only pipes running to this soil pipe

Thanks Paul

11. chris watkins

chris watkins Plumber

Totally agree kop with the pan but does not need to be above the basin, on this one.
    1. Water finds its own level so if the stack blocked & you were silly enough to carry on using the basin it would over still the pan.
    2. OP has fitted an anti-syphon trap to the basin which is below the overspill of the basin which is one of the reasons I don't like them.

12. bogrodder

bogrodder GSR

Actually, that’s not quite true. The idea of the AAV is to prevent either negative or positive pre
    Not if it’s on the ground floor and vermin control flaps have been or anti flood valves.
    Maybe the requirement is a ‘ one fit for all’ type.

13. chris watkins

chris watkins Plumber

I don't think you quite understand how a Durgo works they can only prevent negative pressures by opening to allow air in. They can't no positive otherwise the foul smells would come out.
    If it is a stub stack (i.e. on the ground floor) it wouldn't need one anyway (unless the drain was deep)
    Sorry don't understand
    "Maybe the requirement is a ‘ one fit for all’ type" can you explain ?

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. YorkshireDave

YorkshireDave Plumber Top Contributor!!

Is it me?
    I find it quite depressing that something as basic as a AAV is so misunderstood. That said, I suppose if you don't do 'wet' plumbing you are less likely to need to know...

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. bogrodder

bogrodder GSR

Oh, okay then.