Currently reading:
Heating stopped working

Discuss Heating stopped working in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Harty084

The pipes have been banging on the central heating system which has an open tank in the loft, therefore gravity fed. The pipes only banged when the heating came on and have been meaning to bleed the radiators!! Anyway the heating came on this morning and turned off after being on an hour, so I went to put it back on as it was cold but it wouldn't fire up. I therefore went round the house and bled all the rads, and got some air out, plus this also made the pipes bang a bit. So went to restart the boiler and it tries to fire up, then just trips out. I have a full tank of heating oil and have bled the boiler on start up, but it still just trips out. Boiler is a Grant Euroflame 70/90.
Cheers
Harty

Yep, water came out all the rads and the tank has topped back up in the loft. I did notice when bleeding the pump that usually the fuel gushes out, but it was only trickling out when the bleed screw was fully opened.

Would an airlock cause the boiler not to fire up?

My take on it is that it might well be the central heating pump which has failed. Water
is heating up and not gettin round much causing the boiler to trip out.

centralheatking

The CH pump works fine. The fuel nozzle is wet, cleaned the electrodes and checked the gap. Cleaned the fuel pump filter out. So I pressed the button again, it hums then clicks, makes another droning noise for about 5 secs then trips out, meanwhile the heating pipes bang for about 10 secs!

If the burner locks out because a problem with oil pump or something else, is the photocell clean? I cant see the conection with the heating pipes banging?

riellopump.jpg
[/IMG]
boiler2.jpg

boiler.jpg

Have taken everything apart again. Have checked the fuel pump and it turns freely, have cleaned the photocell?

Presumably you've isolated the electricity? :p

That first photo is your oil pump and is probably the part that's failed. I've got one at home which looks fine and spins but it failed. Not too uncommon a fault on burners.

The nozzle could do with changing too!

(Re one of the other photos I was taught not to use adjustable spanners as you can damage the nuts/bolts quite easily. Best to use the proper size spanner.)

You've obviously got some get up and go about you with those photographs - most other people would have called in a chappie by now!! So, bearing that in mind, presumably you know that now you've taken those parts to pieces you need to check the oil pressure and air and conduct a smoke test and FGA test?

I'm not too sure that it is the fuel pump as you can't hear the motor turning over??

[video]http://s837.photobucket.com/albums/zz296/Hart084/?action=view&current=IMG_0110.mp4[/video]

Get your boiler serviced the jet is stinking
When last time it serviced

i would say its the central heating pump myself ,why would the pipes be banging ?

Can't be the CH pump as that works okay, obviously when I turn the boiler on, it's sending current to the CH pump which is sending the water around causing the pipes to bang as I still have air in the system. Also the CH pump has nothing to do with the boiler not firing up, I suspect I have an electrical fault?

I dont work on oil boilers but know the boiler wont fire up on some boilers if the pump is stuffed ,good luck

Can't be the CH pump as that works okay, obviously when I turn the boiler on, it's sending current to the CH pump which is sending the water around causing the pipes to bang as I still have air in the system. Also the CH pump has nothing to do with the boiler not firing up, I suspect I have an electrical fault?

the ch pump not working could cause the boiler not to fire if it cannot get the water away and overheats but i agree it may be an electrical fault

Very dirty for 11 months think you need it looked at and set up.
If not oil pump I'd try the control box
Is boiler outside?
If so control box could of got wet take it off and look if looks as though damp dry it with a hairdryer somtimes works

All sorted, it was the capacitor. Thanks for all the advice and help guys

Have you checked the inline oil filter? Sounds like it could be fuel starvation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Heating stopped working in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock