Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Heating in Kitchen - Microbore - rad or plinth heater. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Pipe Bend

Hi , there , I'm looking for some thought on the following :-

70's built bungalow / suspended wooden floor with a 10mm microbore sealed heating system, originally installed off an oil fired rayburn in the kitchen ( in it's day the only source of heating ) but now powered by a condensing oil fired boiler .We also have an extension with solid floor , underfloor heating that has separate control and manifold system.

Just removed the redundant oil fired rayburn to fit a dual powered ( Lpg & Electric ) range in it's place , there is no heating in the kitchen and we are considering options.

2 spring to mind.

1/ Fit a wall rad .

But :- with no wall space available to fit a rad , we would need to loose one 500 base unit at the end of a run near the back door to fit allow space to fit a rad on the existing microbore system . However , kitchen space is already limited and the one rad would be underpowered for the size of the kitchen - so it's not an ideal solution.

Or :-

2/ Fit a Hydronic plinth heater .

Which seems the most sensible option .

But :- from what I read on line a Plinth Heater fitted on microbore seems to be a bit if a no-no ?.

So one thought was that I could possibly cut into the 22mm central heating system just before the 10mm manifold , fit a 15mm take of and run this to the Plinth heater - and or course the same for return.

However - this raises issues I'm trying to fathom .

A/ Would this 15mm take off - fitted infront of the 22/ 10mm manifold simply mean that we would see a poorer heating from the existing radiators as the 15mm pipe offering the water flow less resistance would be a sort cut for the hot central heating water to go through the plinth heater and increase the return to boiler temperature - thus effecting the efficiency of the system and the boiler .

Again - balancing the system.

B/ There would not seem to be any way to balance / restrict the flow to the plinth heater - as with the lock shield / trv set up on a conventional radiator - to effect flow .

Had thought about the possibility of using the isolation valves fitted with plinth heater to do the job / restrict the flow - but not sure if this would work at all .

[FONT=&amp]So . then thought that one possible solutions could be to break into the existing heating 22mm system before the current two way motorised valve - split it to give the [/FONT]plith heater a separate system in 15mm fitting a motorised valve and kitchen wall stat.
But of course that solution ad's considerable complexity and cost .

So , am I actually making this into something much more than it is ., are there simpler solutions , I'm just not thinking of ?

Any thoughts would be most welcome.

[FONT=&amp]

[/FONT]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Heating in Kitchen - Microbore - rad or plinth heater. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock