Discuss Has my hot water cylinder coil broke? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Left it again for most of the day and perhaps it back to a littler dirtier
IMG_1706.jpeg

I just feel like I could be slowly replacing the dirty central heating system with clear water from tank refills, and this isnt the behaviour of the coil being intact and slowly flushing the hot water tank clear.

Last edited:
Nope that’s water board dirty water

Ok. Thought I feel like I’ve smelt chemicals when it was at its strongest. Dirty boardwater have a smell?

Can I ask how you can tell the difference between dirty board water and radiator water?

And why would the tank keep filling and then running clear. the cold supply from the water board is running clear now, and has been for three days, so if this is dirty board water in the system how many tank full do I need to clear it. 13 bath fulls i.e 13 full tank empties and refills And still going

Yes as they’ve probably cleaned the pipes

radiator water will be black

your cylinder is full would get the plumber back to drain it and refill

Yes as they’ve probably cleaned the pipes

radiator water will be black

your cylinder is full would get the plumber back to drain it and refill
When you say cylinder is full you mean full of crap? By drain it and refill do you mean more a back wash to clear it out.

I feel I have already been draining and refilling it about 13 times. Same hot water tank (150 litre I think mine is) fills the bath with hot water (all those dirty bath picture are hot water) and is running cold by the end (so I feel the tank is emptied each time, apprecaite it is refilling as it empties mind

Yes you won’t fully empty the cylinder

also did you have a letter off the water board stating there going to be doing work etc ?

you can phone them up and request a visit from one of there engineers as you’ve got discoloured water since they’ve done the works

Yes you won’t fully empty the cylinder

also did you have a letter off the water board stating there going to be doing work etc ?

you can phone them up and request a visit from one of there engineers as you’ve got discoloured water since they’ve done the works
No letter. As I think I said in my first post, there was a leak a few streets down the hill which affected our supply (it was leaking up through their pavement). And when it can back on there was a lot of noises from the tank/airing cupboard (air and water sounds not clunking sounds)

Change the cylinder if you want to, but if the coil had gone your heating would be at the same pressure as your cold main so the gauge would be over 3 bar all the time and your boiler PRV would be passing water all the time.

Change the cylinder if you want to, but if the coil had gone your heating would be at the same pressure as your cold main so the gauge would be over 3 bar all the time and your boiler PRV would be passing water all the time.
Ok, thanks. Boiler gauge hugs 2bar at times but not seen go higher last
Few days

is a tank flushing the only way im
Going to clear the water? I guess if the coil hasnt gone there is no real worry, it’s just a Little dirty and will eventually clear/settle down?

As mentioned in the original post
I do have a drip from (I assume) a PRV flowing through the tundishh and out to a drip outside external to the downstairs toilet. I had read that was a symptom of a broken coil. Any idea what the cause of that might be? Thanks.

Reply to Has my hot water cylinder coil broke? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have a 2 pump hot water tank (Flomax 180L fitted in '94) in airing cupboard system with an Ideal classic boiler (downstairs next to an external...
Replies
Views
I have a Combi boiler and, a few minutes ago I turned on the hot tap in the kitchen and the water was far from hot. In fact, it was decidedly...
Replies
Views
Looking for any ideas to help. I've a Heatrae Sadia Hot Water tank, heated through Oil fired boiler (working fine). A week ago I reset the air...
Replies
Views
I live in an apartment block where generally hot water is supplied from the communal hot water cylinder and cold water to bathrooms is supplied...
Replies
Views
I live in an apartment with a cold water tank. The cold water tank feeds the cold water tap in the sink and the bath. Recently, I refurbished my...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock