Discuss Halstead Platinum expansion vessel access in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

pauln

My Halstead Platinum is behaving like the expansion vessel is faulty, the plumber has priced a new one and fitting at about £375, yikes. But he hasn't tested it, and I'm no plumber but have been reading up on this and it obviously needs testing first and the pipe to it may be blocked, so I'm not impressed with him at the moment.

But does anyone know how to access the valve on the expansion vessel - looks like it's probably against the wall at the top and it's all boxed in with the flue at the top, I can't see much in there?! The manual doesn't give any clues either.
Thanks

You should rely on your expert's erpertise unless you have a reason not to.

If the EV has failed you might find it more cost-effective to have an external unit fitted (if you have the space).

It's not a great idea to be poking around under the cover of a gas boiler without being gas safe, although at least this boiler doesn't operate under positive case pressure.

Thanks, it's ok, I wasn't planning to start dismantling anything myself :)
Just worrying that the engineer hasn't tested the EV before saying it's broken and it might just need air putting back in it. He said he didn't know how to replace it and was going to find out, but I want him to find out how to test it, so started looking into it myself. There's what looks like a rubber cap on a valve right on top of the boiler, might that be the EV valve?

There's what looks like a rubber cap on a valve right on top of the boiler, might that be the EV valve?

If it looks like a car / bike tyre valve (ie is a Schrader valve) then you've probably got it. From your description, though, it could also be the cap on an AAV. Any chance of a picture?

Ah yes, that's it, it's more towards the front and a smaller valve.

I'm guessing the EV valve is going to be at the back and the boxing around the flue will need dismantling if there's no other way to access it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Halstead Platinum expansion vessel access in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi there, I was wondering if anyone could advise if I should get a different plumber for a 2nd opinion. Basically, my combi boiler is in my attic...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm currently in Ireland and in a small cottage where the plumbing system has me scratching my head a bit. When the place was done up...
Replies
Views
Dear All New member here, coming looking for help. A few weeks ago I had work carried out by a British Gas Homecare service technician. It...
Replies
Views
Hi, When my boiler (regular vented I believe) is on there's a constant trickle of water flowing out a pipe to outside (coming off the red vessel...
Replies
Views
Hi, Noob here Struggling with a Baxi Platinum 28HE. a few years ago, the boiler was (almost) completely rebuilt with about 99% new parts. but...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock