Search the forum,

Discuss getting gas safe registration, should i worry? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

southcoastboile

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
has anyone got any advise on getting gas safe registered in my own name ,just wonderd what sort of questions i will be asked,
I no how to do gas rates, tightness test, wp, bp, flue annalyser, just wondering is there anything else that anyone was asked when they did theirs?

im planning on doing 2 services, will that be ok or will they want to see some other type of work?

The other thing is will i need to know how to work out ventilation requirements without looking in a book, i normaly use a ventilation slide rule, is this ok to use on gs inspection?

Also say if i had a 1mbar drop over 2 mins and no smell of gas, its within the permissable drop but if i didn't investigate this on the inspection would i fail?

sorry for all the questions, i have found this forum realy helpfull and would be great to get a heads up on anything i may have missed or need to know, would realy apreciate it if anyone has any advice, thanks !

first off , calm down and chill . your not expected to know everything now and you never will non of us will. if your asked a question you dont know answer to DO NOT GUESS , simply say am just going to check that in my books. and then come back with right answer.

on my inspection i showed a property i did an install on. advised him before i did tightness test that there is a 0.7mbar drop on tightness test but no smell of gas etc, also showed him the safety cert i did which noted this drop, GS inspector watched me do the tightness test which again showed the 0.7 mbar drop. he was fine with what i did i.e noted on cert that drop was present but no smell and appliances on.

gas safe inspection is nothing to worry about, their not trying to catch you out & they know you have already done your ACS & training. he will just ask questions that you already know, it's just the rules off registration that all new business's are inspected before being granted GSR. probably better to take him to 1 install & 1 service though, rather than 2 services. chill out

I've just registered in my own name after a 5 year break working for a company. No questions to answer when you apply, you just need to keep a record of all jobs done for the first three months. Supposedly you are on a probation period for the first three months but I was speaking to a chap on Tuesday who had his 3 month inspection 18 months after he registered in his own name. If you've been registered through a company they'll have all your details anyway.

I was amazed at how quickly things moved on, I registered Sunday evening, got confirmation by e-mail Monday and was getting the salesmen ringing me trying to sell me dodgy advertising space by lunchtime. They must keep an eye out for new registrations.

Not wanting to drop myself in it!! but i've not had an inspection yet!! I joined corgi about 8 months befors GSR took over so I guess I got lost!!

I'm not that worried really, I'm sure my time will come!! especially as GSR are inviting our customers to get them in for an inspection of our work!!

gas safe inspection is nothing to worry about, their not trying to catch you out & they know you have already done your ACS & training. he will just ask questions that you already know, it's just the rules off registration that all new business's are inspected before being granted GSR. probably better to take him to 1 install & 1 service though, rather than 2 services. chill out

is this only in england ? because my business registered in aug 2011.

The inspector i had was very good and did "nt expect me to know everything. You just need to know where in you book you can find the infomation. The inspector will know if you are working safe by looking how neat you installs are.

is this only in england ? because my business registered in aug 2011.
In ireland we have two gas inspections in the first year and once yearly afterwards....find the gas inspectors are generally good guys who are more willing to help than trip you up...... basically checking to see you are doing safety checks as you have been trained to...

I've just registered in my own name after a 5 year break working for a company. No questions to answer when you apply, you just need to keep a record of all jobs done for the first three months. Supposedly you are on a probation period for the first three months but I was speaking to a chap on Tuesday who had his 3 month inspection 18 months after he registered in his own name. If you've been registered through a company they'll have all your details anyway.
I was amazed at how quickly things moved on, I registered Sunday evening, got confirmation by e-mail Monday and was getting the salesmen ringing me trying to sell me dodgy advertising space by lunchtime. They must keep an eye out for new registrations.

i know exactly what your saying i had it too, dodgy desperate salesman-big con.

a lot of inspecters are old gas hands they carrry out the first 10 checks on a boiler with a glance so if you do some thing silly say so they probably will notice far more than you think there not looking for superman (he works as a reporter) but they are looking for a certain standard you have to be safe and you will represent gas safe usuing your books to confirm your working safetly seems a cautious and sensible attitude

I have had the same inspector for years and he is spot on like the previous old boy who was helpful also. I think a bit of common sense is all that is needed

I've had two inspections, same inspector. He didn't want me to carry out any work. I done an install previous the first time. DOne a gas rate, tightness, working pressure and asked me about ventilation regarding the appliance. Second time, took him to 3 property's and talked about each one. THen had a crack for an hour about his hobby. As said, you passed acs so just chill

has anyone got any advise on getting gas safe registered in my own name ,just wonderd what sort of questions i will be asked,
I no how to do gas rates, tightness test, wp, bp, flue annalyser, just wondering is there anything else that anyone was asked when they did theirs?

im planning on doing 2 services, will that be ok or will they want to see some other type of work?

The other thing is will i need to know how to work out ventilation requirements without looking in a book, i normaly use a ventilation slide rule, is this ok to use on gs inspection?

Also say if i had a 1mbar drop over 2 mins and no smell of gas, its within the permissable drop but if i didn't investigate this on the inspection would i fail?

sorry for all the questions, i have found this forum realy helpfull and would be great to get a heads up on anything i may have missed or need to know, would realy apreciate it if anyone has any advice, thanks ![/QUOTE

never had a problem over the years with corgi ,they just want to see a good safe job,and to know you are safe,they know you might be a bit stressed on the day and they take this into consideration.

paid for my registration the day before christmas via the website, thanks for all the comments etc, made me a bit less worried :)

Tax bill january , registration PL insurance March not to mention van tax insurance ,FGA service ,accounts bill

yeah i no, im lucky in a way as i still work for a company, i hope it pays for itself soon though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to getting gas safe registration, should i worry? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock