Currently reading:
Gas useage

Discuss Gas useage in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tech12

Hi Guys: Recently had a new heating system installed in my house.All rads have trv's, thermostat in dining room & an Ideal Logic Combined30 boiler. Supposed to be very efficient & cost effective to run.Doesn't seem to be that cost effective at the moment, we're going throughabout £49.00 a week in gas. This compared to our old Myson compact boilerwith no trv's or room stat which was running about £35.00 a week over thewinter, i know gas prices have gone up but that seems a bit excessive.Any suggestions ?.Thanks : Andy

What size house and how many radiators do you have

I would think something's wrong there, how are you calculating the £50 in gas ??

Hi Guys: Thanks for the replies.Re- Meady: It's a terraced house, 8 rooms in total with a rad in each.Re-townfanjon: It's on a prepayment meter & that's what I put in each week.cooking is Electric so it's just Heating / Water on the gas.Re-wetdrip: Sorry no, 8 rads & 7 trv's.Andy

Hi guys: Sorry my original reply seems to have disappeared.Meady: It's a small stone built 3 bed terraced with 8 rads.Townfanjon: It's a pre-pay meter & that's what we use each weekthat's for water & heating only.Wetdrip: Sorry no, there's 8 rads but 7 trv's.Andy

Is the house Generally Warmer, the same or colder than with the old boiler?
Are you using similar amounts of hot water as before?

Has the rate been changed on the meter to cover any previous debt?

Prepay meters, oh dear oh dear , try get it changed , it will make a difference. Heard on the news today that some customers would be reimbursed because loads had been overcharged ( sorry didn't hear where )

I average £55 a month over the year for both gas and electric combined. That's for a 3 bed semi detached house with 10 radiators.

Last edited:
We pay 12 @ £120 per month for gas and electric, so it balances out summer/winter, but Glasgow summers are only 3 days long, my wife works from home as a child minder and I work from home too now, and our heating is on a lot during the day, so I'm quite happy with that charge

I wish I only paid that :) just edited that cheers

I average £55 a month over the year for both gas and electric combined. That's for a 3 bed semi detached house with 10 radiators.
I couldn't do that even if i rigged the meters.
£210/mnth gas and elec (£120 gas £90 elec) 2 bedroom cottage with a bride who feels the coldat 25º and leaves the back door open all day so the dog can wander in and out to suit himself!
I think i need a new dug :smile:

My mrs feels the cold so I brought her a couple of jumpers and a quilt to keep her warm :)

just going back to Andy before we all discuses out gas and lecky charges.

Turn your boiler stat down, ok it will mean cooler rads but if your home is well insulated and rads / boiler are all sized right, that should help.

I have weather compensation on my boiler (google it , its a bit long winded for a post on here) I honestly did not think I could get the house warm with the rads hardly kicking anything out, but it does. (heatings on all the time, 4 bed detached bungalow, system boiler, 210 solar unvented £ 46.00 a month on gas )

Hi guys: Apologies for the late reply, been a bit busy. No gas bills being paid off, if anything the house isn't as warm as before.but the old boiler only had the boiler stat so ran a lot more. The room stat is set at 21 degrees at the moment, left the heating on last night from 8.00 to 8.00 this morning which used £3.60 so £7.20 for a 24 hr period, times 7 so that's on average £50.40 a week. Compared to the old boiler £30 - £35 a week that's a massive increase.

Andy

Hi townfanjon: Cheers for that buddy, will look into that. Is it something I can install myself, being a sparky PR do you need to access the boiler & be GS registered ?.

Andy

The sensor and running the cable is easy, don't know where it connects in to the boiler, most have a designated connection , only 2 wires. Obviously you only need gain access to the board , and here starts the problem , by the letter of the law I am sure you can't take the cover off, personally, a qualified sparks I can't see a problem !!!!! cue a load of GS lads having a go LOL

Cheers matey: I know a couple of GS engineers on both the commercial and domestic sides so doing it under supervision wouldn't really be a problem. Will look into getting the control but it ain't going to be this side of Christmas that's for sure.

Andy

Daft ideas corner --catagory Same but different-- since install
a) Any signs of pressure loss -damp hence ( losing more energy into pipe work when TRVs shut off )
b) Other changes in ventilation --like warm air finding way into attic / chimney stack ?

(did you occasinally run out of hot water before - but now never happens )

Last edited:
insulation.jpg

Cheaper than gas

Tamz how do u feed that into boiler? Some sort of bio mass hopper? Tried it on my boiler just now
c1f837dbe8ca510107e4eae96be9576b.jpg

Meady why don't you make it dead simple for us all, just read the meter and read it again in one week same time, we are not interested in what you are paying its a smokescreen we should only be interested in what gas is going through the boiler, BTW do you cook with gas.

To the letter of the law you can take the cover off if it's a decorative cover, not if it's a combustion cover

Cover on boiler is a1 piece wrap around, so would that class as a combustion cover ?.

Andy

Is the house Generally Warmer, the same or colder than with the old boiler?
Are you using similar amounts of hot water as before?

Has the rate been changed on the meter to cover any previous debt?

Hi: Heat level seems about the same as before, No the rate hasn't been changed no arrears.
Not using any extra hot water, if anything less.

Andy

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gas useage in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock