Search the forum,

Discuss Gas pipe routing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

stratplus

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Timber frame house, this is pic of gas pipe on first fix ready to board over:

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1405019831314.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1405019831314.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 58
worcester boiler with centre flue to be cored through timber stud (which is all that holds pattress) and a bunch of cables. I love it when people take the time to think about what they're doing :banghead:

Is the gas pipe sleeved? otherwise it cant be there as if there is a leak it will fill the cavity. I wouldnt want to fit a boiler to that I would have the timber fixed to both sides of the stud work

the gas pipe needs to be in a timber boxing/ channel filled with fibreglass with a protective plate over it imo. Like you would have seen on the T vale type jobs.

you need to consider that a leak would fill the surrounding area to which electric cables/ switches are present. a flick of the switch and any explosive mixture will go bang.

you also need to consider the sleeving of the flue system? nail clips are designed to hold in foam lol.

whats the timber for on the side wall? looks like a planned kitchen cupboard in front of the boiler, the boiler would be better on the side wall the gas run surface on the plasterboard and a boxing under the boiler between boiler cupboard and worktop.

what builder is it paul? who 1st fixed it?

the gas pipe needs to be in a timber boxing/ channel filled with fibreglass with a protective plate over it imo. Like you would have seen on the T vale type jobs.

you need to consider that a leak would fill the surrounding area to which electric cables/ switches are present. a flick of the switch and any explosive mixture will go bang.

you also need to consider the sleeving of the flue system? nail clips are designed to hold in foam lol.

whats the timber for on the side wall? looks like a planned kitchen cupboard in front of the boiler, the boiler would be better on the side wall the gas run surface on the plasterboard and a boxing under the boiler between boiler cupboard and worktop.

what builder is it paul? who 1st fixed it?

Lol, I can't tell you that on here Adam. It certainly wasn't me but there are 18 houses, 17 are boarded and this was the last to be boarded so they have all been left like the pic.
Shocking, how do the nhbc not pick this stuff up?

i would not sign off any gas certs for them thats for sure. The nhbc inspectors rely on the gas and sparks most of the time knowing what they are doing. Sadly i would estimate that 80% of new build gas installs do not meet the building regs. The problem with alot of it is a lack of process. who inspects the plasterer is dabbing the gas pipework in? who is at fault if the fan hits the shyt?

I like to try and check its done correctly, but sadly ive been removed from a few jobs for trying to have things done correctly.

What you could do mate is suggest that the run from the boiler to the floor been run surface? put it across that its the builders job to box in the gas correctly.

it might work :)

Nice work! The bending is a "finger kink" it's a joke how many 1990's houses do you find the gas pipe loose in dabbed wall and randomly routed. Woof woof

Just a case of correcting it imho then wait for the builder to fudge something else up for you and wait for counter charge because you've done it properly

what you will get is an argument over who builds/ pays who to build the box, supply any plate etc............

No body wants to do it, it dont get done.

If you at the start of a site catch the plasterer out once about not dabbing the gas pipework in, he will def do it after as hes spent 1/2 a day unpaid going back to rip out and ref dab.

sometimes you need to play the game from day one on a new build site. Walking onto a job half way through can be a mare if its all bin done wrong.

I walked onto a job where the hobs all had been fitted without proper clearence to the cupboard. It was easier to remove me from the job then put them all right.

Nice work! The bending is a "finger kink" it's a joke how many 1990's houses do you find the gas pipe loose in dabbed wall and randomly routed. Woof woof
Exactly that in the kitchen im moving in to an extension. Boiler has been moved from its original kitchen location to the garage and the gas pipe, a metre long from screed to height of original boiler is just flapping about behind the dot and dab. No clips no sheathing or denso and not dabbed over at all. If it leaked it would fill the void and there was no warning the pipe was even back there. any one could have puy a kitchen cupboard or shelf fixing through it easily.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gas pipe routing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
IS IT POSSIBLE TO ADJUST THIS MIXER UNIT? WE HAVE TO HAVE IT TURNED ALMOST FULLY ANTI CLOCKWISE TO GET HOT WATEROUT. THE FRONT PLATE WITH MIRA ON IT PRISES OFF AND INSIDE THERE ARE SOME PLASTIC BITS AND A SMALL CROSS-HEAD SCREW IN THE MIDDLE. THANKS
Replies
Views
Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from each main country too. I'll post this in the Australian forum now.
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock