Search the forum,

Discuss G3 Building Regs in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Daren

Building regulation G3 states that the discharge from the pressure relief on an unvented cylinder needs to go to an external waste, what date did this come into force for?

Is this homework /revision ?
It might be more useful to you if you look it up in a book rather than just ask for the answer :smile5:

I thought it just had to terminate in a place where it wont cause any problems with safety as the water will be blinking hot and no one would want that fired at them.

Sent from my MB526 using Tapatalk

as far as im aware it can terminate near floor level or even high if turned back into wall

Within 100mm of finished floor, not too sure about returning to wall, internally it can go to waste through hepvo but we were told to ok it first with building control. Didn't really understand that bit though because if it's in the regs to do that why do you need to check with building control?

probably to make them feel important. also if the discharge pipe is at floor level it needs mechanical protection i.e cage around it

Thanks for all responses, even the sarcastic one at the start..!! Just trying to get different opinions from a consultants badly specified drawing.

Within 100mm of finished floor, not too sure about returning to wall, internally it can go to waste through hepvo but we were told to ok it first with building control. Didn't really understand that bit though because if it's in the regs to do that why do you need to check with building control?

i think its because you have to show its not practical to do it any other way same with turned back into wall i think you can only do this as a last resort

is the consultant qualified to correctly specify unvented controls and safety devices

is the consultant qualified to correctly specify unvented controls and safety devices

he doesnt need to be, as there will be a tiny disclaimer on the design somewhere saying "dimensions and spec must be confirmed as adequate and complies with current legislation, by a competant person"

Thanks for all responses, even the sarcastic one at the start..!! Just trying to get different opinions from a consultants badly specified drawing.[/

Wasn't trying to be sarcastic just thought you might have been a student looking form easy answers - my bad!

My understanding is the discharge point can be at high or low level but offer no danger to anyone.
It can be fed into the soil but only with local authority approval.
If possible has to be visible at tundish and termination point.
Pipework has to be sized to carry full bore release away without backing up

Thanks. Aware of all that. Just that I have an install where consult says to go onto existing discharge point but it's not correct. Can't get correct drop and discharge doesn't terminate to safe place, therefore just thinking about what date regs came in as original instal wrong.

If its a new install surely it has to comply with current regs ?

Thanks for all responses, even the sarcastic one at the start..!! Just trying to get different opinions from a consultants badly specified drawing.[/

Wasn't trying to be sarcastic just thought you might have been a student looking form easy answers - my bad!

My understanding is the discharge point can be at high or low level but offer no danger to anyone.
It can be fed into the soil but only with local authority approval.
If possible has to be visible at tundish and termination point.
Pipework has to be sized to carry full bore release away without backing up

should say "or"

Thanks. Aware of all that. Just that I have an install where consult says to go onto existing discharge point but it's not correct. Can't get correct drop and discharge doesn't terminate to safe place, therefore just thinking about what date regs came in as original instal wrong.

doesnt really matter about original install not being right, as long as you know ot to connect onto it as it would then make your install illegal, wish i had £1 for everytime i have heard, "but i just reconnected it the same way it was in, so its not my fault"

Totally agree. Just wondered if anybody new exact date regs came in so I can pass back to consultant

april 2010
http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/100312_app_doc_G_2010.pdf

it clearly states the accepted ways of terminating a discharge pipe and the requirements needed if into any wastes system.

i think building control is consulted over wastes termination because many waste systemc cant cope with the temps and you may have to prove that the waste you are connecting to is designed for high temps and the only reasonable route.

Last edited:
many discharges are terminated over footpaths by front doors which is wrong as if it runs in winter and then freezes then it will cause a danger, so its best to have either a drain or soft ground/gravel below away from slabs.

You do also want it away from where its likely to land on people, as someone previously said the water will be hot, so either low down or away from a spot people regularly walk along or stand around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to G3 Building Regs in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Fitted unvented hotwater cylinder building control looking forms signed it off job was in england i am qualified northern ireland send out a form to fill in what do u need to sign off in england as building control said they dont give out forms like they do in northern ireland
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock