Search the forum,

Discuss Fixings in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nmf 3 last post the radiator views 329 replies 19. 5.79%

Fixings
Ok you've struggled the double panel extended surface radiator into the room ,it's already heavy and when it's full of water it'll be heavier still. As my old. Physics master use to drum in to me "a pint of water weighs a pound and a quarter , it's true it does!

All this weight and an internal HOLLOW wall. In the position the customer want the radiator there is no possibility of hitting any of the support woodwork . What type of fixings ?

On the the market today there are many metal and plastic screws plasterboard screws and bolts of various designs all making claims of secure support in hollow walls. Which to chose

In my opinion the best method and the one I use is the 6mm Spring toggle. I carefully drill the correct size hole just large enough for the head to pass through . Ok it's a hollow wall and you can just push a screwdriver through but if you do this you risk the board bellying out and the toggle may Not sit square a firm to the board. Depending on the weight I sometimes drill an additional hole in the brackets

Recently I have also taken to running a bead of no more nails or silicone along the full length of the bracket as an additional safeguard

That's me. I would be interested in your comments and your solutions to hollow wall fixings

If it's a big radiator I get timber behind it by neatly cutting out a section and sliding as big bit of timber behind as I can get.

Not had any come away doing this.

The problem with most plasterboard fixings is they don't cover a big enough area and eventually pull out.

If it's only a small radiator then umbrella fixings every time.

I always use the 1ltr of water weighs 1kg for working out weight.
As for plasterboard fixings you could always try these ae235.jpg

Crap.... Fiddily, awkward, over priced & not as strong as a regular fisher expanding fixing in my experience!

I found them a bit awkward to use but say hey will hold 180kg. Usually use heavy duty wirlies but not sure of max weight they will take.

I found them a bit awkward to use but say hey will hold 180kg. Usually use heavy duty wirlies but not sure of max weight they will take.

They say 180.... But that was a test load, the working load is half... But even that seems excessive in any plasterboard, it only has a tiny little wing span to spread that load lol!

one of the biggest causes ive found for plasterboard fixings failing if punching a hole in with a screwdriver makes a small hole on the outside but takes a chunk out of the back always drill the hole for any fixings
unless your on price house bashing of course

if its a big rad and i cant get a fixing on one bracket into at least one timber then i cut the section of plasterboard out timber up for the brackets and re board and get the wall plastered or if the customer doesn't want this then run a length of timber horizontal along the wall and fix to the studs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Fixings in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I’m hanging a double radiator onto a dot & dab wall. I’m going to drill through the plasterboard & knock the brown plugs through to the masonry behind for a solid fixing, would this be ok?
Replies
Views
I'm currently refurbishing a room and in the process adding some internal wall insulation. The wall has been stripped and my plumber is coming this week to install/reconfigure the pipework for new radiators. The walls are solid brick and as I am installing insulated plasterboards, we agreed...
Replies
Views
i have done a few tests on 5mm pvc wet wall before trying to fit a 1600 bathroom radiator, it's to be fitted on plaster board, there is a panel of sterling board inside the wall. After a few try's to fit the rad fixing the wet wall sink's onto the wall, i have also tryed cutting a circle just...
Replies
Views
I need to hang a radiator (160cm wide, 50cm high, total weight around 35kg) via two brackets to a plasterboard wall. The wall is external, so that it has studs (about 12mm deep and 50mm wide) behind the plasterboard and then bricks behind the studs. I am lucky enough to have studs in...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have an internal, decorated plasterboard wall with poor studding: from left to right, there is a 22mm wide (i.e., horizontally parallel to the wall) stud, then a 38mm stud (the two studs are spaced 60cm), then the jack stud of the door. I need to hang a ~2500 BTUs radiator (I have gas...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock