Search the forum,

Discuss Ferroli Optimax HE 31C New Boiler required? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dtc016

Sorry if this is not in the right section...I am not a plumber, but a consumer. Here is the story so far:

My mother is having problems with the Ferroli Optimax HE 31C gas boiler installed in her house. I employed a local tradesman to install the central heating and boiler system, in December 2008, and I assumed (foolishly) that he would arrange for the correct documentation etc ..to be completed. However, this was not the case and I suppose that I should be grateful that Ferroli sent out an engineer on acouple of occasions to repair the boiler in the first couple of years without my mother being able to produce the paperwork. The persistent fault code and usual problem is F35 which “signifies an electrical frequency error on the pcb”according to Ferroli. Now the boiler has packed up again, and the F35 code is showing again. Another local plumber has looked at the system and informed me that I need to buy a new boiler. I have been quoted £2400 from British Gas (Potterton Promax 28+) and this really seems expensive.

I was looking to get a servicing contract from them as they are advertised as “from £11 permonth” .. but as the boiler needs to be repaired the best they can offer is £30.13 per month!

I was looking to get a one off repair through BG at £79.. but they then told me that this was only if the repair could be completed within a certain time .. if it took longer than 30 minutes it would rise to £199 or even to £409 !! As I have no idea how long this repair would take .. I am wondering if the “best” solution would be to buy a new boiler… Any advice on this matter would be appreciated.

John

Last edited by a moderator:
British Gas will have quoted you approx twice as much as a local engineer would have to fit new boiler. Why do people still go down this route?

Anyway, get a quote for a new boiler from an independant engineer, preferably recommended, you'll probably get a better boiler and better standard of work than from BG. where are you located?

Last edited by a moderator:
My mother's house is near the ***bria / Northumbria border. Am I right to be wary of Ferroli, in your opinion?

What make and model of boiler would you recommend (3 bed semi-detached, ex council house)?

the promax is basically a duotec 1 and is a absolutely cracking boiler,one of the best you can buy,the ferroli is tat,and bg are charging far to much,get a good independent gas engineer to fit you either a duotec 1 HEA or potterton titanium both now come with a 7 year warranty

So is there any point in me trying to get the Ferroli repaired?

They are total rubbish as said. never fitted one for that reason but have been out to loads.

they are cheap allowing the installer to give you a cheap quote and make a bit of ££ on it. Shame as most customers have no idea and go with the installers recommendations

Intergas for me too :)

its a false economy going for a cheaper brand.

as for ferroli boilers, they are good for one thing, seeing how far you can throw them into a skip!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Ferroli Optimax HE 31C New Boiler required? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Had conventional boiler and tanks removed last year and new combi fitted and just recently had it serviced but the guy who did it has given me a gas warning notice for at risk as the outside wall meter box has been drilled through for the gas pipe to go horizontal straight to the boiler. The...
Replies
Views
  • Question
So far, despite the obvious reputation, we’ve been really lucky with our Ferroli Optimax HE 31C. Only had two replacement diverter valves fitted in its life so far and very little else has gone wrong but has been regularly serviced so hopefully will last a little bit longer HOWEVER a small drip...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a Y plan open vent system, boiler 30+ years old, and requires replacement. My plumber is recommending fitting a new Viessmann 11kw System boiler in the current boilers position. The problem is he plans to run two new separate pipes fro the boiler to the hot water cylinder. Once this...
Replies
Views
Dear All New member here, coming looking for help. A few weeks ago I had work carried out by a British Gas Homecare service technician. It required a drain and refill of the system, and as he left, he advised my I would need to bleed all the radiators, at some point, given a few days, when...
Replies
Views
I need a G3 qualified Heating Engineer to supply and install a new Vaillant 32kw ecotec central heating boiler with Green iQ system Vaillant smart heating control. Building has two bathrooms and one shower room and I want to increase ensuite facilities to four other rooms at a later date...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock