Search the forum,

Discuss Exterior Float Valve in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jrote1

I need to have self leveling trough for horses and I was planing to use this 85797_P (1).jpg
but its for outside so i'm not sure if it will break? I need to use this type or something like it because horses will probably play with a cistern ball valve!
If you have any recommendations the would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks In Advance Jake.

Last edited by a moderator:
my partner has horses and I can tell you now that they will rip that right off

You need to some how conceal it yet it still be acessible for maintenance purposes

Yeah I was thinking of concealing it but i also need to find one that wont break in the winter. Do you have any ideas?

That'll be fine in winter as long as concealed. The pipe will freeze and burst before that will break.

So that wont need any thing to stop it from breaking in the winter just protection from the horses?

I reckon so. I've heard about them being used in such applications before. Given the choice though - can't see from picture what you're showing there - use a fluidmaster pro series side-entry. It's a quality make.

Bang on. If you ge the pro-series it comes with a metal thread which eliminates risk of cross-threading connection.

I need to have self leveling trough for horses and I was planing to use this View attachment 3674
but its for outside so i'm not sure if it will break? I need to use this type or something like it because horses will probably play with a cistern ball valve!
If you have any recommendations the would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks In Advance Jake.

You can buy purpose made troughs that have the float valve protected in a seperate compartment.

It because we already have the troughs and were trying to make it as cheap as possible because we do not have that much money at the moment. So it would be better to use the pro version?

To my mind you're using something that isn't fit for purpose. If the float valve is exposed to the horse then its going to get broken.

To my mind you're using something that isn't fit for purpose. If the float valve is exposed to the horse then its going to get broken.

I agree you need to get a purpose one you can bye ones for livestock that will do your job
Ps I'd go with some form of water harvesting aswell

We had some portable toilets that were frozen in the winter as they were only used in the summer, these were all done in plastic fittings and the 90% of the fittings snapped, however 90 % of the taps also split at the bottom.

My advice would be, put a valve on there before the trough and a washing machine valve at the lowest point of pipework, then when the horses come in for the winter, turn the water off and drain all the water out through the washing machine valve, i.e.

Then before the horses go back out in the spring check the valves and the pipework for leaks.

Worst case scenario is that you will have to replace Ā£20 of fittings, best case scenario is that you have got a system that will work All year round.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Exterior Float Valve in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't rip me off? An office guy recommended me to apply for government rebates and get it installed through timetosave.com.au. How reliable is this...
Replies
Views
Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't install any isolating cocks in the H&C feed to the tap so how can I identify which of the valves is passing? Shut the whole H&C water system down?
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it šŸ˜¬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock