Search the forum,

Discuss Electrics tripping when turning boiler off in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

bewsh

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Baxi Bermuda, gravity h/w, pumped c/h.

Whenever customer turns the boiler off on the clock the electrics trip. So I thought must be faulty switch on programmer, so fitted new programmer and tested but the same problem.

Investigated further and found 106vac on the earth connection to the room stat, no voltage on any of the earths at the programmer, and different colour wires coming in to the stat than what leave the programmer, so guessing there's a fault with a wire somewhere which a earth is touching a live or something.

But I would have thought that the voltage on the earth should trip the electrics anyway?

And sometimes when you turn the boiler off at the programmer, it only trips a certain circuit on the consumer unit (not sure which circuit as nothing labeled), but the heating circuit is still live?

Anyone got any ideas?

If it were me and there was nothing obvious, I'd strip out cables and start again checking all electrical components as you go
Has it got a 2 port and stat, or just power from clock straight to pump/boiler

turn boiler off at fused spur and test earths if theres still voltage you need a spark

if theres no voltage need to test each component until you find it

The earth wire on the stat may not be connected to earth, so it could be feedback from other cables, you need to find where all the cables connect and check them out.

No power if fuse spur is off.

The room stat doesn't actually work either, if I take it off the wall and just leave the wiring in place, the boiler still fires up.

I think the problem is with the wiring to the stat, I think I'll try disconnect that wiring and just fit a wireless stat next to the programmer.

And no, there isn't a 2 port, just a feed straight to the boiler/pump (supposed to be through a room stat)

No power if fuse spur is off.

The room stat doesn't actually work either, if I take it off the wall and just leave the wiring in place, the boiler still fires up.

I think the problem is with the wiring to the stat, I think I'll try disconnect that wiring and just fit a wireless stat next to the programmer.

And no, there isn't a 2 port, just a feed straight to the boiler/pump (supposed to be through a room stat)

i would say prob room stat but not unheard of boiler going to earth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Electrics tripping when turning boiler off in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock