Discuss Dream Air to Water Heat Pumps in the Renewables area at PlumbersForums.net

Thanks for your input Sparkgap.
I'm wary myself about ASHP. That's why I'm enquiring. Considered GSHP 15 years ago when I was building my house, not sure our ground is suitable and couldn't justify the cost at the time. I feel retrofitting at this stage would be too disruptive, with even more added cost. Then there is still the GSHP system brand to consider.
I see Dream do those as well.
Just needed to know how PCW is getting on with his Dream ASHP? As I say, can't justify the cost of more expensive, established brands at this time, as not sure if I will ever earn the capital cost back.
If you're out there PCW, or anybody else, I'd appreciate your thoughts.
Thanks
DJ

Thanks for your input Sparkgap.
I'm wary myself about ASHP. That's why I'm enquiring. Considered GSHP 15 years ago when I was building my house, not sure our ground is suitable and couldn't justify the cost at the time. I feel retrofitting at this stage would be too disruptive, with even more added cost. Then there is still the GSHP system brand to consider.
I see Dream do those as well.
Just needed to know how PCW is getting on with his Dream ASHP? As I say, can't justify the cost of more expensive, established brands at this time, as not sure if I will ever earn the capital cost back.
If you're out there PCW, or anybody else, I'd appreciate your thoughts.
Thanks
DJ
Hi
Just seen this so apologies haven't replied. Before I do, are you sorted now or would you still like my penny worth?

Short answer is I am very happy with it.

I wrote most of my experience in an earlier post and still have the same view.

There is a lot on the net about inverter pumps vs single speed pumps. A lot favour inverter pumps but they cost a fortune and in my opinion have a lot more things that can go wrong. Think about how long a single speed fridge compressor runs, starting and stopping for years without problems

My view is get a fixed speed heat pump and as big a buffer tank (DHW Tank, Thermal store) as you can get. Run the UFH from that and have the Heat Pump start/stop from the tank temp about 10 degrees apart. That will stop any short cycling.

Mine is connected so the hot return to the 350 litre tank is about 250 mm off the bottom and flow to the Heat pump was about 150mm directly below that (tank is 2000mm). I thought that was short circuiting, so I changed it to come off the return from the UFH, which is at the opposite side about 150mm from the bottom. So now the cold to the Heat pump is about as cold as it can get which helps efficiency. When the UFH starts shutting down the flow comes back from the tank until the tank heats up and the heat pump shuts down. So start/stop is greatly reduced.

During the colder weather <5 degrees, it never stopped running, it still heated the tank up, be it all more slowly.

It gets the tank up to about 50 degrees which is fine for showers but needs an hour with the immersion heater on for a decent bath….we’ve got a big bath…

I haven’t got the solar system working yet so can’t comment on that as a heat input to the tank.

I chose an 8kw in the end to slightly undersize the system which works OK but 10kw might have been a little better, nevertheless the woodburner back boiler helps when it gets colder. I am most likely going to get another 8kw and run it in parallel, that way when it gets colder it can assist and I will have a standby unit in case one fails.

I think these dream heat pumps are OK but as Brambles said earlier the spares back up is appalling. I needed some spares… something I did, not because it failed (why do we sometimes do stupid things doh :-/ ) but had to wait far too long and they are the only supplier and don’t pick up the phone so very frustrating.

That said when they are running they are very good, I left the heating on 24/7 setting back the UFH at night by a couple of degrees only and it used about 30kw a day. CoP I haven’t work out but even when outside temp was about 7 degrees the temp across the pump was 8 degrees on one occasion so was impressed by that.

You cant beat a nice big Thermal store in my opinion. Connect a heat pump at the bottom for base load, then you can get heat from solar, boiler, immersion heat with iboost or wood burner all adding to a big pot of heat to do what you like with. Also mine is vented, I don’t like unvented cylinders, like having a big bomb in your house and they need testing every year, what’s the point?

There’s a lot of comment about heat pumps are only effective in well insulated houses. Because of the lower temp they are slower to bring the temp up so there is an element of truth in that but at the end of the day a heat pump gives heat into the house like any heat source. If the house is getting cold then you need to put more KW in, that hasn’t changed so get a bigger heat pump. Mine is an older house and this is the reason why I left mine on 24/7. However you do need larger rads and definitely works better with a well zoned UFH system.

Incidentally flow to the heating system is also at the bottom about 250mm up so takes full advantage of the Heat pump and leaves the rest of the tank to warm up.

Happy to send pics if anyone wants.
I know this thread is a bit old but I'm very interested in hearing more how your system is working. I'm getting towards the end of a new build and we're trying to decide on what heating / hot water system to go for. Everyone we talk to suggests different things and up till reading this have dismissed an ASHP as being too expensive. However reading about your self install does make it a possibility.

There is a lot on the net about inverter pumps vs single speed pumps. A lot favour inverter pumps but they cost a fortune and in my opinion have a lot more things that can go wrong. Think about how long a single speed fridge compressor runs, starting and stopping for years without problems

My view is get a fixed speed heat pump and as big a buffer tank (DHW Tank, Thermal store) as you can get. Run the UFH from that and have the Heat Pump start/stop from the tank temp about 10 degrees apart. That will stop any short cycling.

Mine is connected so the hot return to the 350 litre tank is about 250 mm off the bottom and flow to the Heat pump was about 150mm directly below that (tank is 2000mm). I thought that was short circuiting, so I changed it to come off the return from the UFH, which is at the opposite side about 150mm from the bottom. So now the cold to the Heat pump is about as cold as it can get which helps efficiency. When the UFH starts shutting down the flow comes back from the tank until the tank heats up and the heat pump shuts down. So start/stop is greatly reduced.

During the colder weather <5 degrees, it never stopped running, it still heated the tank up, be it all more slowly.

It gets the tank up to about 50 degrees which is fine for showers but needs an hour with the immersion heater on for a decent bath….we’ve got a big bath…

I haven’t got the solar system working yet so can’t comment on that as a heat input to the tank.

I chose an 8kw in the end to slightly undersize the system which works OK but 10kw might have been a little better, nevertheless the woodburner back boiler helps when it gets colder. I am most likely going to get another 8kw and run it in parallel, that way when it gets colder it can assist and I will have a standby unit in case one fails.

I think these dream heat pumps are OK but as Brambles said earlier the spares back up is appalling. I needed some spares… something I did, not because it failed (why do we sometimes do stupid things doh :-/ ) but had to wait far too long and they are the only supplier and don’t pick up the phone so very frustrating.

That said when they are running they are very good, I left the heating on 24/7 setting back the UFH at night by a couple of degrees only and it used about 30kw a day. CoP I haven’t work out but even when outside temp was about 7 degrees the temp across the pump was 8 degrees on one occasion so was impressed by that.

You cant beat a nice big Thermal store in my opinion. Connect a heat pump at the bottom for base load, then you can get heat from solar, boiler, immersion heat with iboost or wood burner all adding to a big pot of heat to do what you like with. Also mine is vented, I don’t like unvented cylinders, like having a big bomb in your house and they need testing every year, what’s the point?

There’s a lot of comment about heat pumps are only effective in well insulated houses. Because of the lower temp they are slower to bring the temp up so there is an element of truth in that but at the end of the day a heat pump gives heat into the house like any heat source. If the house is getting cold then you need to put more KW in, that hasn’t changed so get a bigger heat pump. Mine is an older house and this is the reason why I left mine on 24/7. However you do need larger rads and definitely works better with a well zoned UFH system.

Incidentally flow to the heating system is also at the bottom about 250mm up so takes full advantage of the Heat pump and leaves the rest of the tank to warm up.

HI PCW

Bumping this thread as it sounds really good the approach you have taken and from your last update, it sounds like it worked well.

I wondered if you would be able to share some pics of the system, in particular the connections to the thermal store. Also you mentioned you reduced the temps by 10 degrees but I wondered what your temps are now set to?

Lastly, are you using any form of weather compensation?

Thank you for sharing your journey ao far, really is helpful.

Thanks for replying, Looking on line they are a lot lot cheaper. Most likely made in China so dont expect a lot and warranty probably not worth the paper it's on. Main thing I need to know is how noisy are they? Thats always been a problem with ASHPs . So any user feedback would be appreciated.
Do not buy dream air source heat pumps the after sales service and customer service is disgusting.

Hi, Hope it’s all running well still. I agreed on all your thoughts and threads and have a similar system and I’m thinking about doing the same and value your insight . Just one thing the 30kw/day , can you put a rough cost against that and a yearly usage cost when running .

Hi
Just seen this so apologies haven't replied. Before I do, are you sorted now or would you still like my penny worth?
Hi PCW
Been sitting on it for now as not sure about it. So haven't done anything yet.
But really appreciate your penny's worth all the same?
Just a how its working for you, if you have seen any fuel savings and if you have had any problems 6 months on?
Thanks
DJ

Hi PCW
Been sitting on it for now as not sure about it. So haven't done anything yet.
But really appreciate your penny's worth all the same?
Just a how its working for you, if you have seen any fuel savings and if you have had any problems 6 months on?
Thanks
DJ
Hi DJ
Will do. give me a couple of days maybe weekend and I'll reply

Hi DJ
Will do. give me a couple of days maybe weekend and I'll reply

Reply to Dream Air to Water Heat Pumps in the Renewables area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

My central heating is run off a heat pump ( air to water ) quite expensive to run , So I’m plainning to fit a wood burning with a back boiler to...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm in my new build 2 years and the shower pump has died. I have an air to water unit downstairs is in the utility which I've been told is...
Replies
Views
Hi thank you for letting me join this forum . We have an air to water heat pump but the bungalow is piped in micro bore 10mm pipe which doesn’t...
Replies
Views
Hi, Short version: Do frost protection valves trigger when the water in the pipe gets to threshold, or when the air temp drops? Long version...
Replies
Views
Is it possible to install a wood burning stove with an air to water heat pump? I was speaking to a few plumbers who have said this is not possible...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock