Discuss Drain rods in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got rid of mine, don't do drains. Put up with enough shi' ite without working in it :)

Don't EVER buy the cheap ones as they can snap at the thread and it's no fun trying to retrieve meters of drain rods stuck down a pipe. Anyway, spring rods are far better and can bend their way round obstructions that rods can't. These are also screwed together.

Agreed, I have a cheapo set but I dare not use them properly incase they snap underground, very rare I get asked to do drains anyway.

Agreed, I have a cheapo set but I dare not use them properly incase they snap underground, very rare I get asked to do drains anyway.

Me too!
If the task seems bigger than a diy drain job then I refer it to a professional.

Best way to really block a drain is to put poor quality rods into it. Also don't put the supplied plunger on until you're sure its actually needed. Straight rod only first and count em in and count em out.
As a guide my rod set cost over £300 from Wardsflex. They are 10mm steel bolt together. They do high quality locking poly sets also.
I have a set of these for where more flexibility is required than the steel ones.

Have broke cheap rods down drains before and it becomes a nightmare extracting the lost rods, getting the drain cleared and saving face with the customer.

If you see customer has a set of rods at side of a blocked drain count how many are there and look if the plunger is present. Can't count number of times I've pulled a rod with a plunger out after they've tried to unblock it themselves.

You can get a rod retrieval attachment for end of good quality rods which assists pulling lost rods from drains.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

just buy 2 rats from the pet shop shove em in and bung up the drain.
they will eat there way through the blockage in no time.

add £10 to the bill.

i would use a cheap set and then throw them away after one use and buy another set for the next job if you dont do drain offten, unless you want the smell of poo in you van, shed, house. It can take you a while before you dare eat your lunch in your van with the smell of poo inside it lol

i would use a cheap set and then throw them away after one use and buy another set for the next job if you dont do drain offten, unless you want the smell of poo in you van, shed, house. It can take you a while before you dare eat your lunch in your van with the smell of poo inside it lol

You soon learn not to bite your nails too:eek:

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Its a job for the drain proffesionals, I hate getting asked because customer can't wait to watch you and see how easy it is but if you don't really know what you're doing you just look an idiot when you spend 2 hours faffing around in human cr4p and still don't unblock it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Drain rods in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Show us your fanciest radiators you've installed! We would love to see them! I love this Milano vertical radiator in the kitchen space. What...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock