Search the forum,

Discuss D1 & D2 Length Regs in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Heat Kent

This is a cylinder I did about a month ago – But are D1 & D2 acceptable? I got thinking about it after reading another post last night, so I did a little research. Does the minimum of 300mm before a bend apply to D1 as well as D2? I also have 2 elbows in D1, so what length of pipe does an elbow account for?

To put it right would I just need to just cut D2 under the clip and solder it back on under the tundish with a coupling or do I need to cut it up by the temp valve and extend the pipe work to the first elbow too?

I just want to say thank you to everyone on the forum for being so helpful, I’m learning loads of new things and building up a useful folder of specific regulations.

cylinder.jpgdischarge.jpg

One in my folder http://www.stockport.gov.uk/2013/2994/developmentcontrol/14406/45614/019sanitation

D1 too long and also seems at an incline from the PRV. As to the D2, how far is the run outside and how many elbows? Btw, what's tee'd into the D2 near the floor?

There’s no incline on it, could just be the angle of the picture with the elbows? Goes into 22 from the tee (which picks up the 15 out of the red heating expansion vessel) elbows under the floor into a 2m straight length to the external wall, elbowed down, elbowed out and caged down low.

Do you know how much of my length allowance is taken up by each elbow? Also can I put elbows that close to the valve?

No worries. Looks like a slight incline in the pic. re. the lengths, It's all in G3 and usually the MI's. you should know these if you're fitting UV cylinders.

Last edited:
would have been better the to run the blow off from the heating seperate. Its safer and better than many unvented cylinder installs you see.

9m max in 22mm including allowances for fittings (add 0.8m for a 22mm elbow)
I normally allow the same for bends even tho i read somewhere you add slightly less.

28mm is 18m including fittings (add 1m for every 28mm elbow)

If you were over the 9m and had to upsize it, it should be upsized from the tundish.

Double check but i think thats right.
Hope that helps.
Looks like a good job by the way

The Maximum length of the D1 is now 600mm & there is no limit to the number of elbows that can installed on it. (how many could you fit, LOL)
How long ago did you do your Part G, Heat Kent ??

Hope you insulated all that nice copper, in & out of the cylinder (or at least for the first Metre) ??

Someone has already pulled me up on another post RE qualifications:

I don’t hold any qualifications….. However, what do you class as an installer? Presumably a qualified installer can be assisted by an apprentice? What percentage of the work would need to be carried out by the apprentice before he is considered the installer? If I put the cylinder in and pipe it up then a qualified person checks it, we fill up together and a commissioning guy comes round after us to commission it, then surely that’s safe? It’s not like I go out installing these (or anything for that matter) on my own in private dwellings.

Honestly, before this week I was unaware of any building/water regs and just joining in on the forum is really opening my eyes. I have been doing site work for just under a year and start my 6 week NVQ2 in March, I wanted to get a bit of experience before doing the course rather than doing the course and then looking for a placement like all the other career change guys do.

In light of things highlighted to me on the forum this week, I’m going too call the training centre tomorrow and tag these two on the back of my course. I won't be back on site work before my course, so the world's safe for now :eek:

Unvented Hot WaterSystems
Course Content

• Unvented hot water systems and their operating principles
• Design and installation of unvented hot water storage systems
• Maintenance of unvented hot water storage systems
• Meeting the requirements of the Building Regulations Part L1 - Conservationof Fuel and Power
• Sealed central heating systems

Assessment procedure

A multiple choice paper, a maintenance paper and a practical fault findingsession.

1 Day £195.00

The cost includes training, assessment and certification.

Water RegulationsAdvisory Scheme (WRAS) Certificate
Course Content

• Introduction, background and legislation
• The Water Regulations
• Materials and substances in contact with water
• Requirements for water fittings
• Water System Design
• Installation Commissioning
• Cross Connections
• Black flow prevention
• Cold Water Services
• Hot Water Services
• WCs and Urinals
• Sanitary Appliances and water for outside use.

1 Day £150.00

The cost includes training, assessment and certification.

I can see how it would upset people who are qualified and experienced, so apologies to everyone. Now I am aware, I will ensure I have the appropriate qualifications before touching these again.

It's site work, so lag & tag is a seperate job that's done on the final, but yes it was all done very nice and neat. :)

Not on our price sheet it’s not… Painters come in and paint all the pipework silver then we go back on final to cover it up once the paint’s dried. I think we get something like £10.00 for a lag & tag.

1m from cylinder. Is that extra money for you. not standard.? really.

I don’t make up the pricing or supply the gear… I don’t understand how they price these things up TBH, we get £11 for every rad made up, hung and piped, we get £10 to fit a toilet seat and we get £10 for a lag & tag on a final? Sani ware is £30 per item… How can a bath with a blending valve be the same as a toilet with a pushfit feed?

In an ideal world we would be able to complete a job in one go. But because other trades have to do their bit in between then the price has to be broken down. This is why lag and tag is completed later. It may not be done by the original installer either. The problem you can get is the chosen few cherry pick the best prices.

As above, I've been doing them under supervision by someone who is G3. Once I've finished they're filled up, nut checked and given a good look over by the qualified person before a seperate commissioning guy comes round to commission it. Then Tom, Dick and Harry all come round and make sure they are happy before CML.... For arguments sake we'll call him the installer and me the assisting apprentice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to D1 & D2 Length Regs in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock