Search the forum,

Discuss Cylinder return valve? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Ever since the cylinder return balancing valve has been messed with by my kids it hasn't been hot like before what can I do? (as previously I've been told to leave it fully open )

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    564.4 KB · Views: 17
Didn’t I say 3 full turns closed should do it from fully open ?

Do one more turn then

Correct see what the temp is like might need 1/2 a turn etc

What is the boiler flow temperature set to? and are you allowing it enough time to reheat the cylinder??.
If you feel the return (coil) temperature is it hot/warm or only lukewarm?.
Regarding the return valve, anything more than 1 full turn open from fully shut is quite adequate.

What is the boiler flow temperature set to? and are you allowing it enough time to reheat the cylinder??.
If you feel the return (coil) temperature is it hot/warm or only lukewarm?.
Regarding the return valve, anything more than 1 full turn open from fully shut is quite adequate.
Hi there the boiler flow is set to 75 degrees which is the max and for the return coil it is quite hot when the hot water is on. And to confirm one full turn is adequate?

You can allways open it fully, if you all ready have it 4 turns open then its almost fully open anyway. If the cylinder is taking hours to heat up then the coil may have scale if its years old.

Should be able to slacken the pipe at the top where its connected to the coil and pull it back a little to allow the air to escape.

Does the air stop after a few seconds or does it take longer??.
If you have a sealed system ensure boiler pressure at 1/1.5bar, if open vented ensure the (small) F&E tank is "full" of water.

I have a 150L HW cylinder with a standard 0.65M2 coil, I took some readings off it when heating a stone cold cylinder from 13C to 60C years ago and my calcs showed that the coil averaged ~ 5kw output from cold to hot, ~ 8kw when cylinder cold and ~ 2kw with a hot cylinder, boiler temp was/is 70C.
Based on that, to heat a 100L cylinder from say 10C to 55C should take ~ 1 hour. A 150L 1.5hrs, 200L, 2hrs etc. These would now be considered very very slow heat up times.
So knowing the volume of your HW cylinde you can get a rough idea from my numbers the heat up time required.

Reply to Cylinder return valve? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Fitted unvented hotwater cylinder building control looking forms signed it off job was in england i am qualified northern ireland send out a form to fill in what do u need to sign off in england as building control said they dont give out forms like they do in northern ireland
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't install any isolating cocks in the H&C feed to the tap so how can I identify which of the valves is passing? Shut the whole H&C water system down?
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock