Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss connecting old copper pipes in the Fittings & Pipes area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. babbster

babbster New Member

i have recently had to fix a leak on a section of old copper pipe. the pipe is slightly bigger than 22mm and is thick enough to have had a thread put on it. any ideas how to replace a section with 22mm copper?
    there has been mention of a transitional coupling, however this a DHW pipe

2. Gasmk1

Gasmk1 GSR

it is probaly 3/4" copper you can get 3/4 to 22 soldered
    couplings

3. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

3/4 copper is smaller than 22mm not bigger

4. Last Plumber

Last Plumber Plumber GSR

It might be the really really old stuff before 3/4
    It was more like 1/2" iron for size O.D.

Last time I dealt with it I think I soldered or brazed a female iron to copper on the end of it.
    If it is that stuff ( and it sounds like it ) you won't find a manufactured fitting for it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Last Plumber

Last Plumber Plumber GSR

Measure O D and post the size.

Can you not replace it all ?

6. Ray Stafford

Ray Stafford Guest

Use a drift or socket former to create a socket in the end of the old pipe, and then solder 22mm pipe into it.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2016
  7. Chalked

Chalked Plumber GSR

A drift won't work Ray. It sounds like screwed copper, it it slightly larger than 22mm. Normally found in old high end houses. Nobody makes a transition fitting, and the threads are " fine taper" so BSP is nowhere near. The copper is as thick as galvanised pipe, so great for scrap.
    The times I have connected to it, we used a 1"BSP male to 22 mm compression fitting. The 1" thread will slide over the pipe and either solder it using leaded solder ( I know!!) or better still hard solder or braze. Then you have a 22mm compression end to go off.

• Like Like x 2
  8. chris watkins

chris watkins Plumber

There speaks a proper plumber. IMHO

Problem what problem !

With his skills & knowledge he can adapt, repair, overcome & only if absolutely necessary replace to fix the problem.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Ray Stafford

Ray Stafford Guest

Every day's a school day! I don't think I have ever seen that type of pipe.

10. Gasmk1

Gasmk1 GSR

i have never come across that size or type of copper before must be from the 40's or 50's ?

11. Chalked

Chalked Plumber GSR

This is the only image I can find on google. This pipe is brass, but it's the same for copper and they have brass fittings.
    image.jpg

12. babbster

babbster New Member

Thank you
    will give it a try tomorrow, exactly as you said, old high end house

• Like Like x 1
  13. Masood

Masood Guest

Came across this pipe in the Leicestershire area (if it's the same stuff). Heavy gauge copper, screwed. It's called 20-gauge and you can buy compression and end-feed transition couplings for it. The end-feed couplings are brass and cost a fortune but it means you can convert to 15mm or 22mm and weigh in the old stuff...