Discuss Condensation In Bathroom With No Window - Best Extractor Solution? in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

You need a vent / ventilation for the shower area as that fan isn’t doing nothing where it’s positioned

Also supply air is needed
I think it's going to be a little bit of a pain in the backside to do that now. As the ceiling joists run front to back in that room and the channel i'd run the ducting down from the shower will have a whopping soil pipe between that and the external wall... so not even sure its possible. on the attached, blue is the proposed shower vent, green is where the soil is running horizontally.

shower_vent_possible.jpg

That said, most of the moisture is on the other side of the room, the far back side, furthest from the shower... so it's like the vapour is just not being sucked up by the extractor fan as it passes by.....

If the red x is where the fan is, it is in the wrong position imho.

it would be more effective over the shower so the air drawn under the door pulls more air through the shower area and out

aNS as the shower has its own ceiling then the air directly above it is unlikely to clear

If the red x is where the fan is, it is in the wrong position imho.

it would be more effective over the shower so the air drawn under the door pulls more air through the shower area and out

aNS as the shower has its own ceiling then the air directly above it is unlikely to clear

Yes, I see what you're saying, though I replied to a separate comment about how im not sure thats even viable due to the joists and soil pipe positions... (attached below) blue is proposed fan over shower, green is soil pipe, red is where current fan is. I cant see how i could then duct it to the external wall at the back with the soil pipe in the way like that.

As its unlikely I can get it vented above the shower.... I guess.... where's the next best place for it? even further from the shower would be bad, right?

Attachments

• shower_vent_possible.jpg
    shower_vent_possible.jpg
    241.1 KB · Views: 16
The problem is with the room being on the larger size and not being in the correct / ideal position your going to have to up the output eg increase the dia to increase the air changes in a room

I would say a 6” would struggle 8” would be better as it would change the room air once ever 2-3 minutes

The problem is with the room being on the larger size and not being in the correct / ideal position your going to have to up the output eg increase the dia to increase the air changes in a room

I would say a 6” would struggle 8” would be better as it would change the room air once ever 2-3 minutes

Interesting, I cant say i've seen any centrifugal type ones yet that have bigger ducting than 4"....

Plenty of axial types but they're generally less powerful arent they? Icon60 by Airflow was the biggest axial / hybrid type I saw and that was 6" but it got lots of awful reviews. So thought a 4" vent-axia centrifugal might be enough, based on the flow rates they advertise they look pretty powerful to be fair, over three times the extraction im getting currently. Louder ofcourse as the trade-off, but that's not an issue really.

says it'll do 60l per second, vs my current one which does about 19.

That's the current ducting, running from the extractor fan to the external wall, running parallel to the joists. Length of duct is thereabouts 2.5M

So why don’t you get the installer back. Cut a new hole in the ceiling and use the duct in place?

Sounds like the installer hasn’t done many bathrooms

So why don’t you get the installer back. Cut a new hole in the ceiling and use the duct in place?

Sounds like the installer hasn’t done many bathrooms

I can get the installer back, but I'm not sure I follow what you mean?

Apologies if ive been unclear, red is what's already there, ducting and fan. My initial idea was to simply swap out the red x marked fan for something much stronger. Till I saw the responses on this thread about moving the position of the fan.

If you mean cut a hole somewhere else, where do you mean?

Interesting, I cant say i've seen any centrifugal type ones yet that have bigger ducting than 4"....

Plenty of axial types but they're generally less powerful arent they? Icon60 by Airflow was the biggest axial / hybrid type I saw and that was 6" but it got lots of awful reviews. So thought a 4" vent-axia centrifugal might be enough, based on the flow rates they advertise they look pretty powerful to be fair, over three times the extraction im getting currently. Louder ofcourse as the trade-off, but that's not an issue really.

says it'll do 60l per second, vs my current one which does about 19.

That would give you an air change in roughly 10-12 minutes

Inline ones are always best

Reply to Condensation In Bathroom With No Window - Best Extractor Solution? in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

L
I currently rent a flat but the bathroom does not have a window. Weirdly last year we had no issues but this year we have noticed mould spores on...
Replies
Views
Hi, sorry this is so long. I have tried to give all relevant info. We are building a new, small, two-storey house that is off grid for power...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I've got a recurring really bad/strong smell coming exclusively from the 1st floor Master Bathroom and En-suite (Ground floor and top...
Replies
Views
En-suite shower room refurb needed in Twyford RG10, Berkshire before end January (overall dimensions: 335 x 157cm) ———————————— • Remove...
Replies
Views
Hi All, We are experiencing some problems with both our Showers in our home. We have two Showers - in the upstairs bathroom & in a wet room...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock