Search the forum,

Discuss Condensate Pipe Not Connected in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tod

Hi,
I hope someone can shed some light for me please.
We have just bought a property and I am in the process of doing some light refurbishing before renting it out.
I have noticed that the condensate pipe on the boiler does not seem to be connected or going anywhere.....it looks like someone has broken it off. It comes off the boiler for about 3/4cms and then ends in the living room.

I am goign to get a landlord cert before I rent it out but I wanted to see if I can repiar this or should wait for the engineer to repair this.
Also .how dangerous is this... if it is not repaired and the saftey inspections is carried out, would they put the boiler down as unsafe if it was not connected? or would it just be a not to current standards???

Many thanks for your replies in advance.

engineer will just repair the pipe and will cost more on top of the landlord safety check charge rate !

if you can repair it yourself its easy just connect it into waste pipe below sink, if you got an engineer to fix it you will pay about double the rate of a typical safety certificate

Also you need to get a Carbon Monoxide alarm pronto. Some boiler can pump CO back through the condense if the trap fails. Sometimes during the winter we had to cut condenses internal as they where frozen solid and issued free carbon monoxide alarms.

I'm not sure what boiler does this but the Isar/Icos springs to mind

As villa_tom mentioned. Some boilers combustion gasses can escape through the condensate pipework and this is very important it is sorted ASAP.

Also you need to get a Carbon Monoxide alarm pronto. Some boiler can pump CO back through the condense if the trap fails. Sometimes during the winter we had to cut condenses internal as they where frozen solid and issued free carbon monoxide alarms.

I'm not sure what boiler does this but the Isar/Icos springs to mind

i appreciate you were doing a quick fix to get them going during the bad weather, but i would have hated to be in charge of your defence statement for court if something had happened cause the prosecuter would have had a field day with you, because you supplied a CO alarm (going above and beyond, most of us would agree) you must have been aware your alterations could put the people at risk, but did you confirm the CO alarm was working and would pick up CO if it came out the pipe, how can you guarantee that the customer wouldnt simply shut the CO alarm in the shed because it was noisy and carry on using the faulty boiler etc etc etc haha, i need to get a real job!!!!!!!!!!!!

i appreciate you were doing a quick fix to get them going during the bad weather, but i would have hated to be in charge of your defence statement for court if something had happened cause the prosecuter would have had a field day with you, because you supplied a CO alarm (going above and beyond, most of us would agree) you must have been aware your alterations could put the people at risk, but did you confirm the CO alarm was working and would pick up CO if it came out the pipe, how can you guarantee that the customer wouldnt simply shut the CO alarm in the shed because it was noisy and carry on using the faulty boiler etc etc etc haha, i need to get a real job!!!!!!!!!!!!

In all fairness the boilers where never left in operation for long periods of time, only left running while we went to the merchants to get bigger condense pipe/lagging or connections to run into a sink rather than outside, and this was only done in vulnerable tenants properties. Probably happened once or twice and where no other method was available as most could be cut outside and left to run that way till we returned.

All the boilers where at risked in the mean time and where advised to be turned off while we went to the merchants to pick stock up.

would love to no how Co can get thro a condensate trap just like smells in bog getting thro the water i was told this was con by bg to get people to buy Co alarms cos they had stock piles of them.what about last winter when it was cold and freezing and the condensates were left to run in a bucket till the weather warmed up then re conected never heard of one problem ,not saying it right but thats what happened i would think there would be a big warning sign saying dont leave condensate open or disconected cos of co and if so doubt they be allowed to sell them

would love to no how Co can get thro a condensate trap just like smells in bog getting thro the water i was told this was con by bg to get people to buy Co alarms cos they had stock piles of them.what about last winter when it was cold and freezing and the condensates were left to run in a bucket till the weather warmed up then re conected never heard of one problem ,not saying it right but thats what happened i would think there would be a big warning sign saying dont leave condensate open or disconected cos of co and if so doubt they be allowed to sell them

Good point they should make people aware if this could happen.

But as above if the trap is faulty (split) and empty, then yes it can happen.

it always comes back to the same thing is it likely to happen, NO, but could it happen YES then the once it happens in your career you will get pelters as everyone will tut tut and say mmhh we all know that could have been the outcome, but as villa tom says they only done it in vulnerable tenants properties:shocked::shocked::shocked:

I recently had to terminate both condensate pipe and PRV pipe internally cause the boiler was on the third floor. I used a trap with washing machine where I used the side for condensate and the top for PRV pipe and used a tundish. Am I suppose to put a CO alarm in the kitchen. I am a bit confused now.

plenty of local council propertys around by me had condense pipes cut and tub/bowl left underneath with instructions to tennant to empty the tub when full during the last winter. some i have come across that have never been reconnected so muggins glues em back together. i now carry plenty of overflow couplers on the van!

That's quite worrying if councils are sanctioning this. The condensate pipe is the ideal environment for legionella incubation.

I recently had to terminate both condensate pipe and PRV pipe internally cause the boiler was on the third floor. I used a trap with washing machine where I used the side for condensate and the top for PRV pipe and used a tundish. Am I suppose to put a CO alarm in the kitchen. I am a bit confused now.
It is my understanding, for an internal condensate there must be a water trap present with at least 75mm of water seal before it enters the waste or it may be classed as 'AR'.

Best to make a 75mm trap out of overflow elbows behind kitchen cub/space if its needed, some boilers condense traps are 75mm, if you follow boiler instructions then you cant go wrong. If i remember some older Ideals needed an external trap.

That's quite worrying if councils are sanctioning this. The condensate pipe is the ideal environment for legionella incubation.

Dont know if the council knows or if its the company paid to cover maintence's idea? if i report it i end up doing it anyway so i just fix them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Condensate Pipe Not Connected in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my toilet a good few times nothing is going to the sewer so don't know is there a blockage or what way it works many thanks and advice would be grateful
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock