Search the forum,

Discuss Communal heating - scorching pipes even when thermostat is off in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all,

Our flat has communal heating and our thermostat is set so low so the heating should never be coming on.

However over the last 10 months or so we've noticed the pipes under the floor, particularly in the bathroom, which are under the concrete floor and tiles, have become incredibly hot - at times too hot to stand on. A radiator in the hall doesn't have a value to switch it off, and it's blasting out heat too even though the thermostat is off. In all other rooms we've turned off the valves on radiators, but if we turned them on - even with the thermostat set low/off hot water will pass through them and blast out heat. Already hot in summer, it's just heating the flat further and making the bathroom unbearable (and also just generally such a waste of energy!)

We're convinced somethings wrong because it can't be right that it gets so hot that it's unbearable to stand on the bathroom tiles - although we had a plumber dismiss it as normal several months back (he bled the radiators and left, did nothing to resolve the issue).

Anyone any experience / knowledge of these sorts of issues, and can provide any advice? Happy to share more details or photos of the systems if helpful!

Thanks in advance
Joe

I don’t have a great deal of experience with these, but IIRC - these act upon the thermostat being on to bring the heating on, however they’ll be operating using a motorised valve or similar - this could be passing.

Thanks - you're right, we had a plumber round yesterday and he said that it was because of a build up of pressure in the system (particularly as everyone had their heating turned off over summer), and our proximity of our flat to the boiler room, the pressurised ystem was pumping water through the heating system into the flat, heating the pipes and that radiator - despite the thermostat being turned off . He turned off two values into the heat exchange unit, and that's done the trick.

Reply to Communal heating - scorching pipes even when thermostat is off in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock