Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Combi boiler installation in the Gas Safe Register Forum - Public Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sonia Muss

Sonia Muss New Member

We've just had a new combi boiler installed by a corgi registered engineer and there's a join with 2 different size pipes as picture. We were told by other engineered when getting quotes that the smaller pipe needed to be replaced. Can someone please clarify if this difference in pipes size is correct and we are safe?
    And also, 2nd picture, is it safe to have this pipe separated from the wall dip much? It will be enclosed in a cabinet, but even so, I was planning on storing something there.
    Many thanks
    Sonia

1508246209783831413121.jpg

15082463059251555687937.jpg

2. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Your other engineer is correct to a certain extent, and I would never done it like in the pics never like it

But if it's got enough pressure and it's using enough gas it's fine

Any chance you could take a pic of the benchmark (in the back of the installer instructions)

3. Scott_1979

Scott_1979 GSR

What type of boiler make is it? I know the logics only need a 15mm gas run. I'm assuming it was gas rated and had all the pressures taken when it was commissioned.

Pipework isn't great but depends what was on the quote to start with, sometimes I would like to repipe everything in properties but you can only do so much.

4. Vee

Vee Plumber GSR

How far is the gas meter from the location pictured. What kilowattage is the combi. Do you have any other gas appliances? Gas Safe Register give free second opinions....

5. Harvest Fields

Harvest Fields Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Can I please ask why you are questioning this now and not before the work had been completed?

6. Vee

Vee Plumber GSR

My bet is on the cheapest quote.

7. jtsplumbing

jtsplumbing Plumber GSR

Take it the copper pipe is gas ?? looking at the photo showing the copper pipe the fitting looks like its not been soldered , when was this done ? as the copper pipe looks older than the condense pipe, was this existing pipe work ?

8. Meady

Meady Plumber GSR

All looks soldered to me, but isn’t that a condense pipe going into a copper pipe? If so I didn’t think you were allowed to do that.

9. Chalked

Chalked Plumber GSR

That's a condensate, going into a copper waste!! It will be rotten in weeks. That need sorting immediately.
    As for the gas it depends how far away your gas meter is and the size ( kw) of your boiler. 15mm copper will only work correctly, if the meter is no more the a couple of metres away.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Chalked

Chalked Plumber GSR

Hi how do you work out that a logic can work off 15mm??
    It depends on meter position.

11. Scott_1979

Scott_1979 GSR

Just answered your own question

12. scott_d

scott_d Plumber GSR

More pictures needed

13. Colin0368

Colin0368 New Member

Condensate looks incorrect if connected to copper but looks a bit like old discoloured 1 1/ 4 pipe .. gas pipe fine providing working pressure holds up on max with other appliances running at time of testing .. there can be 2 issues here .. 1) scruffy looking connections making you think it's wrong 2) scruffy looking connections making you think it's wrong but it's safe and will hold up under testing.

14. jtsplumbing

jtsplumbing Plumber GSR

Was looking at the photo of the 22mm elbow , not the 22/15 reducer

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. kezz_123

kezz_123 plumber

Must of run out of talon clips ;)