Search the forum,

Discuss Collapsed drain (possibly) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

GreenArmy

I fear i may have a collapsed drain outside my boundary. Am i responsible for cost of repair?

anything that is not within your boundary is not your problem apert from letting your local authorities know about it.

I understood if it was a drain it's your problem but if it's a sewer it's the undertaker's problem.

I understood if it was a drain it's your problem but if it's a sewer it's the undertaker's problem.
Yeah, thats what i thought. It is the drain, not the sewer, but its outside my boundary. If it is collapsed as i think, its about 3 foot from my front wall.

The sewer is where your drain joins up with someone else's so if it's before the join then it's your shout. BUT it could be worth a battle as it's outside your boundary - even if you get say 50% of the cost recouped.

Good luck!! Rather you than me, but I do hope you win.

If you have a disconnecting manhole "usually" everything on the outlet side is the LA's responsibility. Get in touch with them anyway.

REcent experience of this is that if you are the head of the drain system with nothing above joining in then its your responsibility
all below is shared and becomes the utilitys responsibility.

centralheatking

Drainage people often have video equipment to inspect the drain and give a diagnosis of the problem. But make sure the evidence they show you is in fact your drain/sewer and not one they made earlier.

Drainage people often have video equipment to inspect the drain and give a diagnosis of the problem. But make sure the evidence they show you is in fact your drain/sewer and not one they made earlier.

That souds incredibly cynical!!! I take it you've had a bad experience?

Always worth a phone call to your supplier first.
Good Luck

Hmm!

In my area as far as I know its the householders responsibility right out to connection into the main council sewer, even if that connection is in the middle of a road. You can be talking loads of money.

Check building insurances.

You may also be able to get the drain lined instead of dug up, but of course it depends what is wrong, which is usually a camera job to find out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Collapsed drain (possibly) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I have changed the 3 port actuator Honeywell head however this doesn’t seem to have solved the issue, does this mean that the programmer is faulty? Or is...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock