Discuss Collapsed drain (possibly) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

GreenArmy

I fear i may have a collapsed drain outside my boundary. Am i responsible for cost of repair?

anything that is not within your boundary is not your problem apert from letting your local authorities know about it.

I understood if it was a drain it's your problem but if it's a sewer it's the undertaker's problem.

I understood if it was a drain it's your problem but if it's a sewer it's the undertaker's problem.
Yeah, thats what i thought. It is the drain, not the sewer, but its outside my boundary. If it is collapsed as i think, its about 3 foot from my front wall.

The sewer is where your drain joins up with someone else's so if it's before the join then it's your shout. BUT it could be worth a battle as it's outside your boundary - even if you get say 50% of the cost recouped.

Good luck!! Rather you than me, but I do hope you win.

If you have a disconnecting manhole "usually" everything on the outlet side is the LA's responsibility. Get in touch with them anyway.

REcent experience of this is that if you are the head of the drain system with nothing above joining in then its your responsibility
all below is shared and becomes the utilitys responsibility.

centralheatking

Drainage people often have video equipment to inspect the drain and give a diagnosis of the problem. But make sure the evidence they show you is in fact your drain/sewer and not one they made earlier.

Drainage people often have video equipment to inspect the drain and give a diagnosis of the problem. But make sure the evidence they show you is in fact your drain/sewer and not one they made earlier.

That souds incredibly cynical!!! I take it you've had a bad experience?

Always worth a phone call to your supplier first.
Good Luck

Hmm!

In my area as far as I know its the householders responsibility right out to connection into the main council sewer, even if that connection is in the middle of a road. You can be talking loads of money.

Check building insurances.

You may also be able to get the drain lined instead of dug up, but of course it depends what is wrong, which is usually a camera job to find out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Collapsed drain (possibly) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I need to drain my vokera 29 boiler in the attic as Im going away for 4 weeks at least to make sure there are no frozen pipes. In my small...
Replies
Views
  • Question
My daughter's place has a small water leak on a ground floor radiator valve. The radiator pipework is small diameter.i.e 8 or 10 mm. A plumber...
Replies
Views
So I bought my first flat recently (am in UK) and in a bit of a pickle as the bathroom has turned up lots of problems that weren't picked up by...
Replies
Views
Hi there, I was hoping to get some advice on my DIY drain surveillance after suspecting our sewer pipe is the cause of some damp issues we're...
Replies
Views
Hi all, We recently purchased a house and nothing seems to work correctly here, I've spent weeks rectifying issues. Plumbing, electrical...
Replies
Views
Back