Search the forum,

Discuss cold water tank in attic overflowing but ballvalve OK in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few weeks ago we had a new kitchen sink fitted. Immediately afterwards the cold water tank in attic started overflowing. Fitted new ballvalve but did not help.

We have had 2 plumbers look at the problem and they do not know what the problem is.
We do not have central heating so the cold water tank in the attic just feeds the immersion heater.
Overflow pours out even when immersion heater is off and water is cold.

When the new sink was fitted they did not go into attic at all, just turned off cold water supply under sink and in the airing cupboard above the immersion heater.

The cold water tank in attic is filling despite the ballvalve being new and working fine.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how we can fix this?

It's backfilling, cold water is passing through your new mixer tap and going up the hot water pipe, through your hot water cylinder and up into the cwt in the loft.
The tap installed was not fit to go on your system, the 2 'plumbers' should have known that, guessing it's a monobloc with one handle that controls temp and flow.
A non return valve on the hot feed to the new tap will probably sort it although that is a mechanical device that may fail in the future, also, you may not have enough hot water pressure to operate the tap properly afterwards.
Best bet is to get the right tap - the type you would ideally want is called a dual flow.
Who chose the tap?

Perfect answer JC, especially at that time in the morning. :santa5:

I would re-enforce your assumption that the two who attended were not plumbers despite what they may claim, so topazstar please don't pay them to come back.

Last edited:
Initially the water from overflow would have been warm, that should have been the clue.

Thank you so much for your help - I purchased the tap but the plumber never queried it or said it would not be suitable. I am now purchasing a DUAL FLOW :)

Check pressure rating on tap. Must be suitable to work at 0.1 bar anything greater will struggle on open vent.

I am still stuck with this - purchased new dual flow taps but the new plumber said they are not needed and best to fit a non-return valve - these are the taps currently on the sink - I am now totally confused as they have two handles, not one:

71XxOv04hOL._SL1000_.jpg

Have the plumber come back and fit non return valves on the hot and cold pipes to the new tap, this will stop the tank in the attic backfilling.

Have the plumber come back and fit non return valves on the hot and cold pipes to the new tap, this will stop the tank in the attic backfilling.

And any other mixer style outlets....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to cold water tank in attic overflowing but ballvalve OK in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

For reasons that I won't go into. Is it possible to control the water flow to a cold water header tank without having a ballcock in the header tank? ie to place some sort of control elsewhere in the feed pipe before the water gets to the header tank - turning off the mains water supply would...
Replies
Views
I live in an apartment with a cold water tank. The cold water tank feeds the cold water tap in the sink and the bath. Recently, I refurbished my bathroom, and according to the plumber who fitted the new taps, high-pressure taps were fitted. Consequently, the water from taps is of a low volume...
Replies
Views
I live in an apartment block where generally hot water is supplied from the communal hot water cylinder and cold water to bathrooms is supplied from cold water tanks in the loft. It is a vented system. However, in a basement flat and a ground floor flat cold water supply to bathrooms is...
Replies
Views
Hi all I have a problem with my hot water header tank getting warm water into it from the bottom of the header tank (not the hooked overflow/expansion pipe. Hence the header tank then reaches the overflow level and the overflow trickles out. I have changed the ball valve washers thinking it was...
Replies
Views
Water Heater Screaming Sound on Cold Water Line Spring Check Valve Have this water heater for around 1 year, and it started doing this some time ago. Any suggestions on how to fix this?
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock