Search the forum,

Discuss Clerk of works condems the whole job in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Gotcha

Gas Engineer
We're talking 33 boilers in a new build.
Of which 12 have been installed by a non gsr plumber before I got there, but we fixed the f-ups, and then 21 by 6 gsr including me. There has been some flue upsizing on 4 boilers, later discovered by me to be unnecesary, and some arguing along the way with the 'inspector', nothing worth mentioning though.
Anyway, I commission the boilers. They have been running at this stage for weeks, no problems.
Clerk of works comes, condems the 33 boilers within 1 hour, based on:

- Badge missing on one of the boilers. Badge dissapeared after commissioning. It leaves some holes on the front casing, but they dont reach through so I left it running.
- Unclipped flue on one boiler. Theres clips every 1.5m at least, but not visible through inspection panel. Instead its assumed the flue is resting on plasterboard.
- Flue connection inside the wall. This is a telescopic flue that wasnt long enough to reach through the inside wall and is partly inside a drywall. I missed this one I admit.

But surely this cant be legal, to just condemn 33 boilers based on some minor issues on 3, maybe 4 boilers? I wasnt there on the day of the inspection and this kind of shocked me.
What do you guys say. Do I have options here?

Sounds a mess
I don’t think you can assume all are dangerous based on a few but it does sound like they are pretty bad.
Have they all been labelled AR?

In this context what does "condemn" actually mean? It does not make a lot of sense.

All these arguments "not worth mentioning" - are they actually a factor in his mindset?

He can only condemn boilers if hes Gsr? Sounds like hes not happy or the client isnt happy and hes coming down hard on the contractors to make a point.

What boilers are they and someone steal the badges ? :D

Basically we had a bit of a raw a few months back. He was very displeased that the meters are not capped, even if their ECV is turned off, saying they should be capped until commissioned. I was in the process of commissioning, and every single one had been thoroughly tested, tightness, fgr, gas rated the whole nine yards. The meter room is outside the building and only the site manager had the key and was only signing it off to me, as I was the only gas guy there that and the following weeks. I tried explaining to him that these are unoccupied flats, and nobody will even try to turn any ecv on, so having them off but uncapped should be enough. He remained a total knob and adamant to his beliefs. He even asked me if I feel like losing my license, to which I told him he couldnt possibly do that if he stood on his head, as this is nothing to lose your registration over. He mumbled something else but I asked him if that was all and walked out. I did call gas safe and asked them if what im doing (tested but uncommissioned boilers in unoccupied flats with ecv off on uncapped meters) would qualify for something like ID or Riddor. He was totally awesome about it, he said he wouldnt know but he would call me back in 5 min which he did.
He said its nothing worth of ID especially since theyve been tested and there are printouts from the fga for flue gases, o2 levels (21% on all), and perfect tightness test records, which I had, all that for all 33 flats. He said technically the inspector is right, but practically it shouldnt be the case given that they are as good as commissioned.
That was pretty much it. What the clerk of works doesnt know, is that the boilers have been installed by 6 different individuals, I know them, they knew what they were doing and so do I.
He thinks Im the only installer and condemning all boilers is nothing but revenge for not falling down on my knees for him and ask for forgivness when he discovered my mistake.
So he basically classified all installations as dangerous and got 2 of his own guys to recommission the boilers. Basically he created some nice jobs for a couple of friends, to probably work on double rate as theyre dealing with dangerous installations. Im sure he will try to pull something like that. 100% corrupt **** in other words.
My boss doesnt even want to hear me out. He actually thinks this con is doing the right thing.
Any advice? Never had something like this happen in 7 years of being gs. I have many many boiler installations behind me, 100,200...300 I really lost count. Hundreds of successful breakdown repairs, Im amongst other things an electronics engineer able to design and program circuits boards not just fix them, and since a boiler is mostly electrical appliance, i eat breathe and Rubbish boilers, I know most of them inside out by now.
And then this guy comes and says my installation is not good. I just lost all faith in everything the second I heard that...

They are all Worcester Greenstar 34 combis, a few 42's. That badge probably came off when the cleaners removed the adhesive film the management had put on everything inside the flats (taps, shower mixers, basins, toilets, sinks...boilers...everything). After a week they were stuck on like it was Gorilla tape. No wonder one badge came off. Im actually surprised that only one did.

As it’s into the combo-chamber it’s ar/id as it’s not room sealed any more

It may be the done thing but it sounds like you are in the wrong.
Signing off others work which turns out to be incorrectly installed

As it’s into the combo-chamber it’s ar/id as it’s not room sealed any more
Its not into the combustion chamber, are you serious. And its still room sealed. A plastic logo that has 3 legs pressed into the front cover, flush with the rear of the cover, followed by fireproof insulating material. The chamber has nothing to do with it.
It may be the done thing but it sounds like you are in the wrong.
Signing off others work which turns out to be incorrectly installed
Well...yes. Except it wasnt incorrectly installed.
I know my boilers, promise. Its all political. Correct or incorrect is not what im looking for in opinions.
I just want to know what needs to be done if one person discards everything of which little needed some more attention at most.
Mind you...he is the clerk of works. NOT a genuine gas safe inspector with a genuine concern for safety. Hes just using safety as reason to take the absolute pis

Its not into the combustion chamber, are you serious. And its still room sealed. A plastic logo that has 3 legs pressed into the front cover, flush with the rear of the cover, followed by fireproof insulating material. The chamber has nothing to do with it.

I know my boilers, promise. Its all political. Correct or incorrect is not what im looking for in opinions.
I just want to know what needs to be done if one person discards everything of which little needed some more attention at most.
Mind you...he is the clerk of works. NOT a genuine gas safe inspector with a genuine concern for safety. Hes just using safety as reason to take the absolute pis
If you are confident you are correct get gas safe out to inspect.
They can give a final answer

Yep holes through the front case into the combustion chamber it’s ar/id

Learn to start kissing arse then, most of dislike it... but sometimes it’s very necessary when you come across power hungry pricks

Unfortunately I think you have to take it on the chin and move on.

If you left a flue you can see the clips and a joint inside a wall (unless it was a telescopic and I read it wrong) he is in the right you are in the wrong. Sorry I know that's not what you want to hear but that's 2 AR straight away.

If you are confident you are correct get gas safe out to inspect.
They can give a final answer

If you believe you right, then time to call in the cavalry.

I would love to hear the final result. I doubt I could install 33 boilers without a mistake here or there. I wouldn't mind trying though. Sounds like a nice job

Reply to Clerk of works condems the whole job in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

E
Hi all, Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere but I can't find an answer to my questions. I have a back boiler and gas fire which h has...
Replies
Views
Had our gas Baxi Combi inspected and serviced today, as it has been every year. Gas safety cert issued and says all okay, but engineer gave what I...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I have a WorcesterBosch Greenstar 42CDi classic combi, which is providing DHW fine, but not heating. Was working fine in spring...
Replies
Views
Hi all, came across this forum this looking for information on my sooting up kitchen type indoor Enviromax. I'm a retired electronics/maintenance...
Replies
Views
Hi all, We recently purchased a house and nothing seems to work correctly here, I've spent weeks rectifying issues. Plumbing, electrical...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock